Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default No water in home

wrote:

I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??
Thanks is advance!

Will the city help? Maybe, if it is separately metered.

The line must run at shallow depth to freeze underground.
Just seems surprising.

If the line is metallic (copper/galv), commercial firms
can thaw it electrically.

Don't rule out stuck valves somewhere in the service
(as an example).

Jim