Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Amana Dishwasher Noise

Dishwasher noise is one of the major features in selecting a dishwasher.
Amana dishwashers are highly rated, inexpensive but give no noise
numbers. I emailed Amana and got the following answer.

The decibel rating is...
ADB1500AW-55 Db
ADB2500AW-52 Db
ADB3500AW-55 Db

These Amana decibel numbers are very good in comparison. If they are
correct, the Amana is a good deal quieter than the average Kenmore (59
dB), and as quiet as the lower end Bosch (53 dB) for quite a bit less money.

Can anyone give any backup to these Amana dB noise number either through
personal experience or otherwise?

Amana Consumer Affairs wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for visiting our Maytag.com customer service page. We

appreciate your interest in our products and service.

The decibel rating is...
ADB1500AW-55 Db
ADB2500AW-52 Db
ADB3500AW-55 Db

If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate

to contact us.

Sincerely,

Eric
Maytag Consumer Services
(Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time)

Received Date: 2/15/07
Completion Date: 2/23/07

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Andrew Jahns" wrote:
Dishwasher noise is one of the major features in selecting a dishwasher.
Amana dishwashers are highly rated, inexpensive but give no noise
numbers. I emailed Amana and got the following answer.

The decibel rating is...
ADB1500AW-55 Db
ADB2500AW-52 Db
ADB3500AW-55 Db

These Amana decibel numbers are very good in comparison. If they are
correct, the Amana is a good deal quieter than the average Kenmore (59
dB), and as quiet as the lower end Bosch (53 dB) for quite a bit less
money.

Can anyone give any backup to these Amana dB noise number either through
personal experience or otherwise?

I've got the "1500" model mentioned. It is dramatically quieter than the
dishwasher it replaced, a 33 year old GE model. But it's somewhat surprising
the ways in which it is quieter. The two most annoying times on the old GE
were the water fill and drain periods. Those are dramatically quieter on the
new Amana. But the reason those things are quieter is pretty obvious. The
fill and drain are so much slower on the Amana, so you don't hear this noise
of the rush of water flowing through the piping, or draining through the
garbage disposal. The washing itself is also much quieter, but that wasn't
the most annoying part of the cycle for me. My sister has a new high end
Kitchenaid bought at about the same time (spring 2006). Hers is a bit
quieter than my Amana, but it's not a big difference.

One thing both my sister and I noted is the newer dishwashers take A LOT
LONGER to complete a cycle than the dishwashers both of us replaced. So
though the noise might be a lot less, it lasts a lot longer! ;-) The total
cycle time (including dry) on my ancient GE was about 1 hour. On my new
Amana, it is about 2 hours. My sister's new Kitchenaid also takes about 2
hours.

I did the installation of mine myself. Reading the installation
instructions, it becomes obvious where a lot of the noise reduction comes
from. It is critical that the side seals that attach the dishwasher to the
cabinets on either side, as well as the kick panel beneath are installed
properly, as they keep the noise from coming out into the kitchen. The
different Amana models come with different sealing methods in the kick panel
area. If the seals are not installed correctly, the quoted noise levels will
not be achieved.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wff_ng_7 wrote:
"Andrew Jahns" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the answer. Currently I have a Hotpoint 3700. It only lasted
3 years and is very loud. It just doesn't clean the dishes anymore. The
gunk is left on them.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wff_ng_7 wrote:
"Andrew Jahns" wrote:
[...]

Most of the cycle times listed in Consumer Reported are over 100 minute
so the Amana is typical at 115.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Gerome Kalbasov" wrote:
Thanks for the answer. Currently I have a Hotpoint 3700. It only lasted 3
years and is very loud. It just doesn't clean the dishes anymore. The gunk
is left on them.

It's funny, but that's the reason I replaced my 33 year old GE. I tracked
down what the problem was on mine, and the valve that directed the pump's
output to either the spray arms or the drain wasn't working. It never
drained properly, so the dirt kept being recycled around the dishes. The
cause was accumulated wear on various parts, as everything was still moving
the way it was supposed to, there was just a lot of leakage. The tell tale
sign of what was wrong was water sitting in the bottom of the tub at the end
of the cycle.

The old GE's used a single pump that directed the water either to the spray
arms or to the drain. My new Amana has separate pumps for feeding the spray
arms and draining the tub. I'm not sure how newer GE's work though. I
suspect the cheaper GE's with the central popup spray tower might be very
similar to the old ones.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but GE and Hotpoint are the same
company. In years past, Hotpoint tended to be sold to builders, while GE was
sold retail. I'm not sure how the two brands are marketed today.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

That seems to be the case in Australia too. We recently replaced ours with
a 2 drawer Fisher & Paykel and that takes 2 hours to do a cycle. The old
Miele used to take just over an hour (mind you only about half the things
were washed properly). It is much quieter though and does have a time delay
so if ever I work out how to use that I could set it to do its cycle after
we go to bed.

"Gerome Kalbasov" wrote in message
wff_ng_7 wrote:
"Andrew Jahns" wrote:
[...]

Dishwasher Insulation for Noise [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 11th 07 04:55 PM
Amana fridge very noise ghorgos Home Repair 2 December 21st 06 12:52 AM
Old Amana 18 "Energy Saver" 'fridge: noise Puddin' Man Home Repair 1 July 28th 06 03:54 PM
Noise from dishwasher I Podius UK diy 8 June 10th 06 08:36 AM
Dishwasher making vibrating noise Brian Anderson Home Repair 4 January 16th 05 02:40 PM