Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Does "Hand-Painted" Usually Mean?

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
ups.com...
What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

No, it may be legit. But some of that stuff is painted on an assembly line
rather than some fancy artist doing a one off. Things like that are done
all the time by workers making pennies per hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 6:17 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Chris Tsao" wrote in message

ups.com...

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

No, it may be legit. But some of that stuff is painted on an assembly line
rather than some fancy artist doing a one off. Things like that are done
all the time by workers making pennies per hour.

Like where one person does the drawing and one or more others do the
fill-ins and someone else does the glazing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

Either one could apply. Your image is too small to see detail, but the
style is one most commonly painted by hand with brush-applied colors.
The same style has colors that tend to be somewhat transparent, so that
overlapping brush strokes can be seen. Your image could also be just a
decal-type transfer ... if you cannot see brushstrokes, or see a pattern
in the colors, it is more likely (not absolutely) a decal.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 23 Feb 2007 02:49:24 -0800, "Chris Tsao"
wrote:

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

This item is curved, so I don't think it is a decal. For the same
reason I don't think it is a stencil. And it's multicolored so it
would need several stencils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
No, it may be legit. But some of that stuff is painted on an assembly
line
rather than some fancy artist doing a one off. Things like that are done
all the time by workers making pennies per hour.

Like where one person does the drawing and one or more others do the
fill-ins and someone else does the glazing?

Pretty much. Can I do the red today? I'm tired of painting blue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either one could apply. Your image is too small to see detail, but the
style is one most commonly painted by hand with brush-applied colors.
The same style has colors that tend to be somewhat transparent, so that
overlapping brush strokes can be seen. Your image could also be just a
decal-type transfer ... if you cannot see brushstrokes, or see a pattern
in the colors, it is more likely (not absolutely) a decal.

There's this other company that sells the exact same stuff as the one
in the link, only from different molds. I have a big glazed frog and a
big cross from them. I didn't see the brush hairs (as far as I can
tell, that is). They probably are hand-painted, but maybe not with a
paint brush. They look like they were drawn with something similar to
chalk. The paint looks dabbed, but I don't know art (only what I like).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

This item is curved, so I don't think it is a decal. For the same
reason I don't think it is a stencil. And it's multicolored so it
would need several stencils.

Chances are fairly good that the complicated parts are done by
decal, stamp, or machine, and the easy parts are painted by hand.
I'm not absolutely sure why it matters. It's mass-produced
stuff. It ain't ever going to be collectable art, so either
you like the way it looks, or you don't. What difference does
it make how it was done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand-
painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean
that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and
someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand-
painted.

http://www.talaveraemporium.com/imag...337_medium.jpg

This item is curved, so I don't think it is a decal. For the same
reason I don't think it is a stencil. And it's multicolored so it
would need several stencils.

Chances are fairly good that the complicated parts are done by
decal, stamp, or machine, and the easy parts are painted by hand.
I'm not absolutely sure why it matters. It's mass-produced
stuff. It ain't ever going to be collectable art, so either
you like the way it looks, or you don't. What difference does
it make how it was done?- Hide quoted text -

I'm just curious. But if I ever buy a Mexican vase, for some reason I
would want it to be all hand-painted. Myabe because vases are supposed
to be supreme?