Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulating basement ceiling

when insulating a basement ceiling
which side should the vapor barrier be on.
facing down to basement or facing up towards living space?
and why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mikee" wrote in message
when insulating a basement ceiling
which side should the vapor barrier be on.
facing down to basement or facing up towards living space?
and why?

Paper/Vapor barrier always faces the warm area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 05:31:39 -0500, "mikee" wrote:

when insulating a basement ceiling
which side should the vapor barrier be on.
facing down to basement or facing up towards living space?
and why?

I am facing, no pun intended, the same problem of planning out the
insulation of an unfinished basement ceiling. I was told, the
direction of the vapor barrior should always point to the warm side.
Since my basement is unfinished, and unheated, I believe my vapor
barrier must face up.

Now I've been told using unfaced is ok, since there isn't an envelope
between the basement and the first floor. The door isn't an exerior
door with weather strips, so the importance of a vapor barrior is not
needed.

Just passing on what I've been told.

Tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info