Default Insulating Basement Ceiling??

Hi,
I am having a problem with cold floors. I live in a bungalow and have
hardwood floors, the "unfinished" basement walls are insulated and the area
is heated...can I insulate the ceiling of the basement without causing any
problems?? Will this solve my cold floor problem upstairs??

Thanks in advance!

James Owens

) writes:
Hi,
I am having a problem with cold floors. I live in a bungalow and have
hardwood floors, the "unfinished" basement walls are insulated and the area
is heated...can I insulate the ceiling of the basement without causing any
problems?? Will this solve my cold floor problem upstairs??

As someone else snarkily suggested, the heated, insulated basement should
warm the floor as the heat rises. If the floors are cold, something else
is going on. The heat in the basement is going somewhere it's not
supposed to, or the hardwood floors are somehow exposed to heat loss from
somewhere else, or both.

Does the basement have a finished ceiling? Is there a space in the
ceiling, above the insulated basement wall and below the upper floor,
where the walls are not insulated? This could be a cause of heat loss.

Are there any drafts in the upstairs part of the house? Cold air falls, so
the floor might seem cold even if the air was being cooled by poor wall
insulation or drafty windows.

--
"For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."
-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada
willshak

James Owens wrote:

) writes:

Hi,
I am having a problem with cold floors. I live in a bungalow and have
hardwood floors, the "unfinished" basement walls are insulated and the area
is heated...can I insulate the ceiling of the basement without causing any
problems?? Will this solve my cold floor problem upstairs??

As someone else snarkily suggested, the heated, insulated basement should
warm the floor as the heat rises. If the floors are cold, something else
is going on. The heat in the basement is going somewhere it's not
supposed to, or the hardwood floors are somehow exposed to heat loss from
somewhere else, or both.

I don't know what 'snarkily' means. Is that a British usage? I only
suggested that the OP use common sense. If snarkily means common sense,
then I apologize.
Tom Baker

wrote in message ...
Hi,
I am having a problem with cold floors. I live in a bungalow and have
hardwood floors, the "unfinished" basement walls are insulated and the area
is heated...can I insulate the ceiling of the basement without causing any
problems?? Will this solve my cold floor problem upstairs??

Thanks in advance!

You can insulate the floor / ceiling without problems.
It won't solve cold floors if the basement is already insulated & heated.

TB

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
I am having a problem with cold floors. I live in a bungalow and have
hardwood floors, the "unfinished" basement walls are insulated and the
area
is heated...can I insulate the ceiling of the basement without causing any
problems?? Will this solve my cold floor problem upstairs??

Thanks in advance!

If the space below is heated, it will not make any difference.

The real question: Are the floors cold or do they just feel cold?

Let's say the room is 70 degrees. The walls are 70 degrees, the furniture
is 70 degrees, the floor is 70 degrees. But the floors feel cold; why?
Your body is about 98 degrees. Heat always moves to the cooler places. Law
of physics you cannot change. You sit on the sofa and you have less actual
skin contact that you have on the nice smooth floor. Thus, the floor is
robbing heat from your 98 degree body.

Cure? Thicker socks, carpet, or radiant heat panels in the floor.

If the area below the floors is 10 degrees colder, the floors will be colder
and insulation will help.

James Owens

willshak ) writes:

As someone else snarkily suggested, the heated, insulated basement should
warm the floor as the heat rises. If the floors are cold, something else
is going on. The heat in the basement is going somewhere it's not
supposed to, or the hardwood floors are somehow exposed to heat loss from
somewhere else, or both.

I don't know what 'snarkily' means. Is that a British usage? I only
suggested that the OP use common sense. If snarkily means common sense,
then I apologize.

"Snarky" is one of those self-explanatory words because of its resemblance
to others ("snicker," "snarl"), but you can find dictionary definitions
via Google. It doesn't mean "common sense." It would be snarky of me to
question your apology so phrased, and if you didn't mean to be snarky,
then I apologize for suggesting that you meant to be.