Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat roof options

Have a house in Tucson with a flat roof. Has some ponding, but the Sun out
here would dry a lake. Had some roofers look at it and now have conflicting
suggestions. Roofer 1 says a fabric roof is best, roofer 2 says a built up
roof with three layers of fiberglass and hot tar is best.

My question should be, what is the best roof system for a flat roof in
Southern Arizona?

What really surprises me is their quotes. They are about $50 apart?? $7,500
for 3,500 sq. ft. +, +, + for any hidden stuff.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Al wrote:

... what is the best roof system for a flat roof in Southern Arizona?

An EPDM rubber pond with lots of old tires tied together in flat layers
on top for shade. Flood with an inch of water in summertime.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also recommend the rubber roof, but no tires or flooding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 10:08 pm, wrote:
I also recommend the rubber roof, but no tires or flooding.

Your existing roofing system is likely to have insulation material
embedded, followed by a top layer of sand cement screet and last but
not least water proofing material such as a membrane.

To redo the roof system, it is best to remove the existing system to
ensure there is no overloading of the roof. In my experience with
redoing my own flat roof several years back, I opted for removing the
entire roofing system to the bare roof concrete. First layer was like
a tar water proofing menbrane joined at the seams by some sort of
flame heating guns. The second layer was 2" foam type insulation
boards arranged like lap joints. The final layer was the sand cement
screet done at a gradient for proper water drainage. It could be
followed by another additional layer of water proofing membrane on
top, but I did not take that option. I am still quite happy with it.