Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Are pretty claw hammers better?

Are pretty claw hammers better? By pretty, right now I'm thinking of
the ones with corners on the shank just below the hammer head. Does
that shape mean they are made with a different, better method?

Or maybe they are made with a cheaper method but made with corners to
imitate better ones?

Or is the shape just a style and nothing more?

There are also hammers with 8 sided heads, rather than circular. For
some strange reason I can't put my finger on, I don't like them.
That's just a style, right?

I've never broken a hammer, even one that I'm sure was cheap. But I
have had one or two where there was something wrong with the V between
the claws and they didn't grip nails with small heads well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A hammer is about as personal a tool as you can get.
more so than a saw or drill. a hammer speaks to who you are and how you
work.

no one hammer is better than the other.

I like a light hammer, others prefer heavy weighted hammers.
I like a wood handle, others prefer composite or steel.

different styles for different uses.

personally I think the milled faces are for people who can't swing
straight... but that's just me.

Dave

"mm" wrote in message
Are pretty claw hammers better? By pretty, right now I'm thinking of
the ones with corners on the shank just below the hammer head. Does
that shape mean they are made with a different, better method?

Or maybe they are made with a cheaper method but made with corners to
imitate better ones?

Or is the shape just a style and nothing more?

There are also hammers with 8 sided heads, rather than circular. For
some strange reason I can't put my finger on, I don't like them.
That's just a style, right?

I've never broken a hammer, even one that I'm sure was cheap. But I
have had one or two where there was something wrong with the V between
the claws and they didn't grip nails with small heads well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zephyr wrote:
A hammer is about as personal a tool as you can get.
more so than a saw or drill. a hammer speaks to who you are and how
you work.

no one hammer is better than the other.

I like a light hammer, others prefer heavy weighted hammers.
I like a wood handle, others prefer composite or steel.

different styles for different uses.

personally I think the milled faces are for people who can't swing
straight... but that's just me.

Dave

There are differences in quality and there are different types depending
on use and personal preference. No one really should use the cheap ones.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would never buy a hammer big enough to hit my thumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A hammer is about as personal a tool as you can get.
more so than a saw or drill. a hammer speaks to who you are and how you
work.

no one hammer is better than the other.

I like a light hammer, others prefer heavy weighted hammers.
I like a wood handle, others prefer composite or steel.

different styles for different uses.

personally I think the milled faces are for people who can't swing
straight... but that's just me.

You use a framing hammer for framing, a finish hammer for
finish work, and a tack hammer for light work.

The shape and materials of the head, claw, handle, and
grip affect things like moment arm, shock transmission,
weight distribution, grip, slipperyness, twisting,
and recoil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote in message

The shape and materials of the head, claw, handle, and
grip affect things like moment arm, shock transmission,
weight distribution, grip, slipperyness, twisting,
and recoil.

Exactly
The good hammer just feels good in your hand. What I like may be much
different than your choice. Just avoid cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Are pretty claw hammers better? By pretty, right now I'm thinking of
the ones with corners on the shank just below the hammer head. Does
that shape mean they are made with a different, better method?

Or maybe they are made with a cheaper method but made with corners to
imitate better ones?

Or is the shape just a style and nothing more?

There are also hammers with 8 sided heads, rather than circular. For
some strange reason I can't put my finger on, I don't like them.
That's just a style, right?

I've never broken a hammer, even one that I'm sure was cheap. But I
have had one or two where there was something wrong with the V between
the claws and they didn't grip nails with small heads well.

Dave-

personally I think the milled faces are for people who can't swing

straight... but that's just me.

I used to think that, as well........about 30 years ago.

Back then I used a 20oz smooth face & could drive any nail straight
in...but as I got older & stronger I swtiched to a 28 oz milled face.
(never could handle the 32oz, just too heavy for me)

With that 28oz, I could drive nails at any angle with my eyes
closed ....milled faced hammers are amazingly forgiving.

My 28oz phase didn't last very long...too tiring. I backed off to a
24oz milled hammer then later switched to a rigger's hatchet....just
love the feel & balance, still use one after switching 15 years ago.

Now it makes my arm & shoulder hurt some but I still prefer it to a
Vaughan framer or a Vaughan Cal framer. IMO the shape of the head
effects how the hammer swings...who knows, maybe it's like bat shape?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in
:

"mm" wrote in message
Are pretty claw hammers better? By pretty, right now I'm thinking of
the ones with corners on the shank just below the hammer head. Does
that shape mean they are made with a different, better method?

Or maybe they are made with a cheaper method but made with corners to
imitate better ones?

Or is the shape just a style and nothing more?

There are also hammers with 8 sided heads, rather than circular. For
some strange reason I can't put my finger on, I don't like them.
That's just a style, right?

I've never broken a hammer, even one that I'm sure was cheap. But I
have had one or two where there was something wrong with the V
between the claws and they didn't grip nails with small heads well.

...the milled faces are for people

My grandmother from the old country used to beat the **** outta steaks
on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking.
Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers
hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
My grandmother from the old country used to beat the **** outta steaks
on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking.
Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers
hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.

My grandmother did that with rump roast. Never had a pot roast equal or
better since she died.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:59:24 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
My grandmother from the old country used to beat the **** outta steaks
on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking.
Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers
hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.

My grandmother did that with rump roast. Never had a pot roast equal or
better since she died.

Well, thanks to everyone.

I'll have to wait until I'm using the hammer(s) and think about all
this.

And also when I'm cooking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My grandmother from the old country used to beat the **** outta steaks
on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking.
Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers
hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm......wondering what the oz's of the hammer vs. oz's of the steak
was :-) Maybe this is my problem of not being able to cook a damn
thing.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"avid_hiker" wrote in
oups.com:

My grandmother from the old country used to beat the **** outta
steaks on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before
cooking. Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a
shoemakers hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.-

Hmm......wondering what the oz's of the hammer vs. oz's of the steak
was :-) Maybe this is my problem of not being able to cook a damn
thing.

Dean

If you can make Sloppy Joe, you'll survive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:wsPCh.65352$wc5.24281
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
My grandmother from the old country used to beat the **** outta steaks
on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking.
Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers
hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.

My grandmother did that with rump roast. Never had a pot roast equal or
better since she died.

Never had a rump roast done up that way. Hmmmm...maybe I should pick one
up, go to where they're builing a bridge and slip it under the pile driver
for a few rounds. Still won't be as good as you grandmother's though Edwin.

Claw Feet Source? redranger69 Woodworking 7 October 24th 06 07:40 PM
Small hammers? Mike S. Home Repair 14 April 9th 06 06:22 AM
"Soft" hammers Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 24 August 14th 05 06:43 PM
Claw Foot Tub Plumbing Matthew Denny Home Repair 2 January 24th 05 11:39 PM
Safety hammers? Sasha Klamp UK diy 24 March 24th 04 11:29 PM