Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Payback on better windows and / or door

Just moved to The Villages in Florida.
Small house built in 1990 has steel door, screen door, single pane
windows in aluminum frames. Am looking for sites or info on the payback
period for different ways to improve efficiency. House has new A/C -
Heat pump from Trane. No way to get to attic to improve insulation up
there. There are aluminum awnings over most windows.
Some possible ideas I am considering (in no particular order):
Storm door with full glass.
New front door of wood.
Double pane windows - would be vinyl clad.
Film on existing windows.
Storm windows with full glass.
Combination of some of the above.

Yes I am going to Google but there are so many choices.
Would prefer replies from folks with experience or training or URLs to
good sites.

TIA

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 6:30 am, Lou wrote:
Just moved to The Villages in Florida.
Small house built in 1990 has steel door, screen door, single pane
windows in aluminum frames. Am looking for sites or info on the payback
period for different ways to improve efficiency. House has new A/C -
Heat pump from Trane. No way to get to attic to improve insulation up
there. There are aluminum awnings over most windows.
Some possible ideas I am considering (in no particular order):
Storm door with full glass.
New front door of wood.
Double pane windows - would be vinyl clad.
Film on existing windows.
Storm windows with full glass.
Combination of some of the above.

Doors and window are the first place to look when trying to save
energy so you are on the right track. Buy good ones if you can
afford. If new windows are too expensive then they can sometimes be
retrofitted at a lower cost. Storm windows can be installed or
repaired and are second only to the primary windows.

After that you look at the attic. Though you can see no way to get
into the attic please don't rule it out. It is possible to blow in
insulation without actually going up there.

Payback is a bitch and depends upon many variables like your age, the
age of the house, what you paid for it, how much you spend, how long
you intend to stay and your resale market.

Aside from payback you will be doing the right thing by upgrading if
you can afford. Your house will be more comfortable and so will you,
lol. Besides, using less energy is good for everbody and will make
you feel good about yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Just moved to The Villages in Florida.
Small house built in 1990 has steel door, screen door, single pane windows
in aluminum frames. Am looking for sites or info on the payback period
for different ways to improve efficiency. House has new A/C - Heat pump
from Trane. No way to get to attic to improve insulation up there. There
are aluminum awnings over most windows.
Some possible ideas I am considering (in no particular order):
Storm door with full glass.
New front door of wood.
Double pane windows - would be vinyl clad.
Film on existing windows.
Storm windows with full glass.
Combination of some of the above.

Sometimes, you can make significant improvements at low cost. For example,
look closely at your entry door ... are all the gaskets and sweeps sealing
tightly?

Are the windows tight?

Air leaks are more important than ceiling insulation in Florida (I live
here).

I am working on my home which is 10 years old. I have big-time air leaks
which I am now correcting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Lawrence wrote:
On Feb 20, 6:30 am, Lou wrote:
[...]

All is true, but I am 66 and money is kinda tight.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Charles Schuler wrote:
[...]