Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default Payback on better windows and / or door

"Lou" wrote in message
Just moved to The Villages in Florida.
Small house built in 1990 has steel door, screen door, single pane windows
in aluminum frames. Am looking for sites or info on the payback period
for different ways to improve efficiency. House has new A/C - Heat pump
from Trane. No way to get to attic to improve insulation up there. There
are aluminum awnings over most windows.
Some possible ideas I am considering (in no particular order):
Storm door with full glass.
New front door of wood.
Double pane windows - would be vinyl clad.
Film on existing windows.
Storm windows with full glass.
Combination of some of the above.

Sometimes, you can make significant improvements at low cost. For example,
look closely at your entry door ... are all the gaskets and sweeps sealing
tightly?

Are the windows tight?

Air leaks are more important than ceiling insulation in Florida (I live
here).

I am working on my home which is 10 years old. I have big-time air leaks
which I am now correcting.