Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default They did it again!

Sorry about spelling error. People are "lazy", not "laze".

"James Bond 007" wrote in message news:...

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message et...
The reason dollar coins are not popular is because COINS are not popular. We
put up with the others because we have to and the majority of us carry them
precisely as long as it takes to dump them in a big container at the house.

Dollar coins (of any shape and size) will catch on 100% the moment they stop
printing paper dollars.

Rick, that is not entirely true. Dollar coins would be popular if vending machines took them. They don't. Vending machines have been modified to take dollar bills, not dollar coins. If the machines would have been modified to take the coins, the dollar coins would likely have become more popular. Maybe not mainstream, but more popular. At least useful enough for people to carry around to use in vending machines at work or in public places like malls, airports, or whatever.

Coins are popular for saving because it's easy to do. We dump them in jars at home and then roll them up because it's an easy way to save. We then take the rolls to the bank and deposit them into our savings accounts. The dumb ones that are too laze to count them and roll them up themselves take them to those machines that count them up for them and give them a receipt. They "pay" for that service by not getting full value for their coins.

I think that eventually, pennies will likely be taken out of circulation altogether. It almost costs more than a penny to make a penny (if it doesn't already). Might as well just round things to the nearest nickel and forget about pennies.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

James Bond 007 wrote:
[...]

We are only a few years away from vending machines that take plastic or let you
pay with a cell phone. These are already used in Europe and Japan. That will
spell the death of coins to a large degree (as well as the paper dollar).

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

The reason dollar coins are not popular is because COINS are not
popular.

I remember a news item from NPR about the way coin purses
have been rediscovered by young Italians
since they converted to more coins from printed money.

Rick, that is not entirely true. Dollar coins would be popular if
vending machines took them. They don't.

Huh? Plenty of vending machines around NY/NJ take dollar coins.
Particularly the transit TVM (ticket vending machines).

We are only a few years away from vending machines that take plastic or let you
pay with a cell phone. These are already used in Europe and Japan. That will
spell the death of coins to a large degree (as well as the paper dollar).

Atlanta's airport has a very high tech Coca-Cola vending machine
(not surprising since Atlanta is CocaCola's HQ).
- credit card payment, even the new contactless cards
- large flat video screen playing Coke commercials

A NJ highway rest stop had credit card payments on the ice cream machine
with instructions for how to buy more than one item on the same transaction.

So it's here already.
--

-- mejeep deMeep ferret!