Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water suddenly rusty

Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. I've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. It may be coming
dirtier, even. The cold water runs clean. Piping to the tank is all
copper. I find no sign that the tank is leaking.

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 9:35�am, George wrote:
Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. *I've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. *It may be coming
dirtier, even. *The cold water runs clean. *Piping to the tank is all
copper. *I find no sign that the tank is leaking. *

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George

Time for a new hot water tank its about to start leaking the glass
lining has probably failed.

how old is the tank? gas or electric?

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. I've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. It may be
coming dirtier, even. The cold water runs clean. Piping to the tank
is all copper. I find no sign that the tank is leaking.

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George

Time for a new tank. It may be a defective tank, or it may have been a
cheap tank and water that is hard on tanks.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:52:53 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

George wrote:
Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. I've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. It may be
coming dirtier, even. The cold water runs clean. Piping to the tank
is all copper. I find no sign that the tank is leaking.

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George

Time for a new tank. It may be a defective tank, or it may have been a
cheap tank and water that is hard on tanks.

I just called the manufacturer (American Water Heater) about the
warranty. They said to change the anode rod. I'm in the process of
trying to get it off (no harm in looking). But, does this seem
credible. There's really a lot of rust, and it did start very abruptly.

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

George- Hide quoted text -

Good luck do you have the hedroom to clear the rod vs cieling?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Feb 2007 13:00:23 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 12, 3:08?pm, George wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:52:53 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

wrote:
George wrote:
Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. 've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. t may be
coming dirtier, even. he cold water runs clean. iping to the tank
is all copper. find no sign that the tank is leaking.

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George

ime for a new tank. t may be a defective tank, or it may have been a
cheap tank and water that is hard on tanks.

I just called the manufacturer (American Water Heater) about the
warranty. hey said to change the anode rod. 'm in the process of
trying to get it off (no harm in looking).

ut, does this seem
credible. here's really a lot of rust, and it did start very abruptly.

Thanks,
George- Hide quoted text -

Good luck do you have the hedroom to clear the rod vs cieling?

Yeah, lots of room above. The question is, do I have the torque? It's
a 1 1/8* hex head, screwed into the top of the tank. So far, I haven't
been able to budge it.

George

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 12 Feb 2007 13:00:23 -0800, "
wrote:

Good luck do you have the hedroom to clear the rod vs cieling?

Yeah, lots of room above. The question is, do I have the torque?
It's a 1 1/8* hex head, screwed into the top of the tank. So far, I
haven't been able to budge it.

George

Squirt some penetrating oil or WD-40 on to it, let it sit overnight and try
again. Whenever you do get it out, if you do, put the new one in with some
teflon tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:35:16 GMT, George wrote:

Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. I've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. It may be coming
dirtier, even. The cold water runs clean. Piping to the tank is all
copper. I find no sign that the tank is leaking.

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George

Don't chance a flooded house, or no hot water for a while. If this is
an older unit, replace it. If it's under warranty, contact the
manufacturer.

7 years seems a little soon for dying wh, curious, do you have it
cranked up? Have hard water, or sulfer water?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:19:26 -0500, LayPerson Tom wrote:

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:35:16 GMT, George wrote:

Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.

Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. I've filled and
drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. It may be coming
dirtier, even. The cold water runs clean. Piping to the tank is all
copper. I find no sign that the tank is leaking.

Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would
be appreciated.

Thnaks,
George

Don't chance a flooded house, or no hot water for a while. If this is
an older unit, replace it. If it's under warranty, contact the
manufacturer.

As far as flooding, it's in the (very unfinished) basement. Not a big
deal. As noted, the mfr is adamant that we try a new anode rod. That's
not a big deal either, except it seems to be a PITA to get out.

7 years seems a little soon for dying wh, curious, do you have it
cranked up? Have hard water, or sulfer water?

I don't have a clear answer on the temp setting. A couple of months
ago, we started getting 'not very hot' water from the tap. At that
time, I found the t'stat set to the high end of "warm", which I think is
120F. I moved it up to the next mark on the dial, which might be 130F.

And, we do have pretty hard water.