Default Rusty hot water

I'm experiencing recurrent problems with my hot water being rusty. The
cold water is fine. We have a well which gives us water with low pH
(5.5) and lots of iron (9.17 mg/l) and manganese (6.5 mg/l). So for
treatment we have a greensand filter with the pH being raised using a
soda ash solution. We also have a 5 micron sediment filter after the
greensand filter. The well itself is quite full of bacteria
(iron/manganese), though there is no evidence that the bacteria is a
problem in the house (i.e. no slime buildup in the toilet tank). The
well is just over 6 yrs old.

I am new to having to deal with well water, we've just moved into this
house 6 months ago. The previous owners did not leave behind any
information regarding the water treatment system (there are no
manuals).

All I know about how to maintain this is from asking questions of the
people who installed the treatment equipment. However, getting
detailed information from them is difficult. And most of our learning
experience has been from screwing up and then having them come fix the
problem.

With regards to the rusty hot water, whenever it started to happen I
was usually able to fix the problem by replacing the sediment filter
which seems to be clogged with iron after about 2-4 weeks. However, I
have just changed the filter and the water is still just as bad.

I don't know if the problem may be because we had a well driller come
look at our well, last week (before I changed the filter). They put a
camera down the well which is how we know the well is full of bacteria.
Running the camera down the well looks like it would have disturbed
the existing bacteria. Could this cause problems like we now see?

The post treatment pH of the water does seem to be in the range of
7-7.5. I don't have any numbers on how well the treatment system is
reducing the iron and managanese.
Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

Clark Griswold

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I think you answered your rusty water issue with your first two sentences of
your post. It seems like the rusty water issue is with your hot water tank.
Is your filter after the hot water? Some, if not all filters will break down
with water temps above 100 degrees F. Maybe its time to replace the tank.
Or, do you have a tankless?

Thanks for your response,

We have an electric 40 Gallon hot water tank (rental) that presumably
is 6 yrs old (age of the house). All filtering happens before the hot
water tank.

We had posed the possibility to the rentor (local utility) but they
"blame" the water treatment system (with the statement to the effect,
we see this all the time it usually is the water treatment system).
What would be the best approach to determine "blame" in this case.

A. Barnhard

On 26 Jan 2005 06:35:45 -0800, wrote:

I'm experiencing recurrent problems with my hot water being rusty. The
cold water is fine.

Check out
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...nfdrainwh.shtm

We had a similar problem, followed the procedures on this page, and
eliminated the problem.

m Ransley

Flush your water heater. It is a normal recomendation - procedure ,
likely never done.

Charles Spitzer

"A. Barnhard" wrote in message
On 26 Jan 2005 06:35:45 -0800, wrote:

I'm experiencing recurrent problems with my hot water being rusty. The
cold water is fine.

Check out
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...nfdrainwh.shtm

We had a similar problem, followed the procedures on this page, and
eliminated the problem.

i have a similar problem of rusty hot water, but only at a single point
(tub). the 2 adjacent sinks don't have this problem. this has puzzled the
plumber who installed it, along with the contractor. any ideas?

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Duane Bozarth

Charles Spitzer wrote:

"A. Barnhard" wrote in message
On 26 Jan 2005 06:35:45 -0800, wrote:

I'm experiencing recurrent problems with my hot water being rusty. The
cold water is fine.

Check out
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...nfdrainwh.shtm

We had a similar problem, followed the procedures on this page, and
eliminated the problem.

i have a similar problem of rusty hot water, but only at a single point
(tub). the 2 adjacent sinks don't have this problem. this has puzzled the
plumber who installed it, along with the contractor. any ideas?

Galvanized line to the tub hasn't been replaced, other has...

Thanks for the link,

I have flushed my hot water heater a couple of times in the last 2
months. It seems to provide only temporary relief.

Mike

Charles Spitzer

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Charles Spitzer wrote:

"A. Barnhard" wrote in message
On 26 Jan 2005 06:35:45 -0800, wrote:

I'm experiencing recurrent problems with my hot water being rusty. The
cold water is fine.

Check out
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...nfdrainwh.shtm

We had a similar problem, followed the procedures on this page, and
eliminated the problem.

i have a similar problem of rusty hot water, but only at a single point
(tub). the 2 adjacent sinks don't have this problem. this has puzzled the
plumber who installed it, along with the contractor. any ideas?

Galvanized line to the tub hasn't been replaced, other has...

new construction. all copper piping. only 3 years old. i doubt very much
there was galvanized line, and the installer stated they didn't use any.

Duane Bozarth

Charles Spitzer wrote:
i have a similar problem of rusty hot water, but only at a single point
(tub). the 2 adjacent sinks don't have this problem. this has puzzled the
plumber who installed it, along with the contractor. any ideas?

Galvanized line to the tub hasn't been replaced, other has...

new construction. all copper piping. only 3 years old. i doubt very much
there was galvanized line, and the installer stated they didn't use any.

You didn't say that initially...

Something in the tub fitting set then or some trash left in the line
would be next most likely...

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 10:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 03:34 PM