Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulating fireplace gas insert

Our fireplce gas insert always has this cold draft coming out of it when
not in use. The flue damper was removed when installed. The insert is
feed by two three inch pipes. I have been told to stuff some insulation
up the flue to seal it up. Roxul safe and sound was mentioned. Itd seems
to be very fire resistant.

Is this a normal thing to do? I was told the installers should have done it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you need the chimney? If not, have someone come in and block off the
top. Alternatively, pull the unit out and install a rigid board of
polystyrene or polyurethane and spray foam the edges for a tight seal. I am
assuming with this last suggestion that the unit is zero clearance. Others
more knowledgeable may want to comment on any fire safety issue here.

"Jules" wrote in message
Our fireplce gas insert always has this cold draft coming out of it when
not in use. The flue damper was removed when installed. The insert is feed
by two three inch pipes. I have been told to stuff some insulation up the
flue to seal it up. Roxul safe and sound was mentioned. Itd seems to be
very fire resistant.

Is this a normal thing to do? I was told the installers should have done
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are looking to plug a fireplace flue I would think a chimney
plug would be the route to go. There is something called a chimney
pillow at http://www.chimneyballoon.us that should do the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No. The chimney is still sort of used.
There are ducts running in it, for the direct vent fireplace insert.

I just am leary of stuffing in the insulation. Worried that the exposed
surfaces will let of irritating fibres. I was told it is done iand as
long as the insulation is not disturbed, then it will be okay. But I
wanted to know if anybody here has done/heard this.