Posted to alt.home.repair

Default securing conduit at breaker

I have a 100 amp subbreaker with no circuits on it yet that sits
against a block wall adjacent to the crawlspace. I want to run some
new circuits through the crawlspace to the kitchen. My main breaker
(which is in an inconvenient wall to pull cable to) has metal
knockouts and I am familiar with the use of romex cable clamps to
secure the conduit and prevent sharp edges. But the subbreaker just
has a short 3" dia. plastic pipe that terminates at the other side of
the block wall. How do I secure the romex? My wiring book and home
inspection book do not discuss this situation--they only say to use
clamps to secure cable when exiting any box.

If I run the conduit directly out the pipe and staple it to the joists
about 1' above the pipe termination, there's nothing sharp to cut the
wire, but isn't there a danger that someone could snag the loose
conduit hanging out of the pipe and it off a breaker? What's the
correct way to do this? Is there an NEC code for this? The wire
feeding the subbreaker is completely enclosed in the same type of PVC
conduit running into the box--but I can't do this for multiple
circuits running out, can I?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "astrojeff" wrote:

Your consistent use of incorrect terminology (e.g. repeatedly writing breaker
when you mean panel, and conduit when you apparently mean cable) does not fill
me with confidence that you understand what you're doing well enough to do it
safely. Please visit a library or home center store and get yourself a book on
basic residential wiring before you burn your house down.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ask because I could not find it in a book yet--that's the point in
the group, I thought? I'll look in more books, but I was hoping
someone here could help speed the search process. Sorry I was
careless with words (that happens when I only read this stuff and
don't talk about it with pros--I know it much better than I say it), I
do know the difference between conduit, cable, breaker, and panel; let
me try to correct my question to avoid confusion:

I have a 100 amp subpanel with no breakers on it yet that sits
against a block wall adjacent to the crawlspace. I want to run some
new circuits to the kitchen. My main panel
(which is in an inconvenient wall to pull cable to) has metal
knockouts and I am familiar with the use of romex cable clamps to
secure the cable and prevent sharp edges. But the subpanel just
has a short 3" dia. plastic pipe that terminates at the other side of
the block wall. How do I secure the romex? My wiring book and home
inspection book do not discuss this situation--they only say to use
clamps to secure cable when exiting any box.

If I run the cable directly out the pipe and staple it to the joists
about 1' above the pipe termination, there's nothing sharp to cut the
wire, but isn't there a danger that someone could snag the loose
cable hanging out of the pipe and it off a breaker? What's the
correct way to do this? Is there an NEC code for this? The cable
feeding the subpanel is completely enclosed in the same type of PVC
conduit running into the box--but I can't do this for multiple
circuits running out, can I?

My friend, who is more knowledgable with wiring than I, is helping me
(does that make you feel more comfortable?), but he has not worked
with this type of panel before. He suggested we secure the cable to
the block wall with those pipe clips/clamps (whatever you call them--I
could draw you a picture, but I'd probably use the wrong word and get
chastised) and some sort of masonry screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rest assured, I have a book on residential wiring, and I am a visual
thinker, so although I am a little slow on matching the correct words
to the objects--but I DO know the difference, but I apologize for the
confusion and not being more careful. And I have a friend who is
helping me with the project who has quite a bit of experience, though
he has not worked on this type of panel before. I was asking the
group because I couldn't find it in my 2 books. But I will continue
to search more books if nobody will answer me due to my ignorance.

-thoroughly humbled

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "astrojeff" wrote:

I ask because I could not find it in a book yet--that's the point in
the group, I thought? I'll look in more books, but I was hoping
someone here could help speed the search process. Sorry I was
careless with words (that happens when I only read this stuff and
don't talk about it with pros--I know it much better than I say it), I
do know the difference between conduit, cable, breaker, and panel; let
me try to correct my question to avoid confusion:

That helps a lot.

I have a 100 amp subpanel with no breakers on it yet that sits
against a block wall adjacent to the crawlspace. I want to run some
new circuits to the kitchen. My main panel
(which is in an inconvenient wall to pull cable to) has metal
knockouts and I am familiar with the use of romex cable clamps to
secure the cable and prevent sharp edges. But the subpanel just
has a short 3" dia. plastic pipe that terminates at the other side of
the block wall. How do I secure the romex? My wiring book and home
inspection book do not discuss this situation--they only say to use
clamps to secure cable when exiting any box.

There's no requirement to secure cable when it's leaving a box through
conduit. There is, however, a requirement to secure the cable when it leaves
the conduit. You need to have a bushing at the end of the conduit as well, so
that there is not a sharp edge on which the cable sheath could be damaged.

So...

Put a threaded adapter on the end of the conduit, and screw a plastic bushing
down on the threaded adapter. Run your cables through the conduit, and secure
them to the structure within six inches of the end of the conduit. The easiest
way to secure romex is with approved cable staples, hammered into wood. Since
you have a block wall there, you may need to attach a board or piece of
plywood to the block wall first, to give yourself something to staple to, if
there isn't any wooden framing accessible within six inches of the end of the
conduit.

An alternative to attaching wood to the block wall is extending the conduit to
a point that's within six inches of existing wood framing.

If I run the cable directly out the pipe and staple it to the joists
about 1' above the pipe termination, there's nothing sharp to cut the
wire, but isn't there a danger that someone could snag the loose
cable hanging out of the pipe and it off a breaker?

Yes, there is -- hence the six inches rule.

What's the
correct way to do this? Is there an NEC code for this?

(described above)

The cable
feeding the subpanel is completely enclosed in the same type of PVC
conduit running into the box--but I can't do this for multiple
circuits running out, can I?

Yes, as long as you don't exceed the limit for that conduit.

My friend, who is more knowledgable with wiring than I, is helping me
(does that make you feel more comfortable?), but he has not worked
with this type of panel before. He suggested we secure the cable to
the block wall with those pipe clips/clamps (whatever you call them--I
could draw you a picture, but I'd probably use the wrong word and get
chastised) and some sort of masonry screw.

I may be mistaken... but I don't think that there is *anything* that is
Code-approved for securing NM cable ("romex") to the face of a masonry wall.
Either extend the conduit, or attach some wood to the wall.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

How does this sound?

At the local electrical store with help from an electrician, I got 2"
LB and conduit to run from the subpanel stub out up the block wall to
the floor joists above--I also got 2" brackets to secure to the
wall.. Then I got a PVC screw adaptor, locknut and bushing to attach
to a 6" metal box with knock outs, which I will secure to a joist and
use romex connectors/clamps to run the cable out and then I'll staple
the cable along the joists the rest of the way to the kitchen wall,
starting at six inches from the box.

Unless there's more I'm missing, thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "astrojeff" wrote:
How does this sound?

At the local electrical store with help from an electrician, I got 2"
LB and conduit to run from the subpanel stub out up the block wall to
the floor joists above--I also got 2" brackets to secure to the
wall.. Then I got a PVC screw adaptor, locknut and bushing to attach
to a 6" metal box with knock outs, which I will secure to a joist and
use romex connectors/clamps to run the cable out and then I'll staple
the cable along the joists the rest of the way to the kitchen wall,
starting at six inches from the box.

Perfect.

Unless there's more I'm missing, thanks!

You're welcome.

--
Regards,

Blocked Conduit - Need to See in 3/4" Conduit - Fibre optic Camera? Scott Townsend Home Repair 15 October 15th 06 06:35 PM
Securing Underlay Hogwild Home Repair 2 March 15th 06 09:31 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
Securing 1/2" tails into new radiator jon UK diy 4 June 22nd 05 02:42 PM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM