Posted to alt.home.repair
astrojeff astrojeff is offline

Default securing conduit at breaker

I ask because I could not find it in a book yet--that's the point in
the group, I thought? I'll look in more books, but I was hoping
someone here could help speed the search process. Sorry I was
careless with words (that happens when I only read this stuff and
don't talk about it with pros--I know it much better than I say it), I
do know the difference between conduit, cable, breaker, and panel; let
me try to correct my question to avoid confusion:

I have a 100 amp subpanel with no breakers on it yet that sits
against a block wall adjacent to the crawlspace. I want to run some
new circuits to the kitchen. My main panel
(which is in an inconvenient wall to pull cable to) has metal
knockouts and I am familiar with the use of romex cable clamps to
secure the cable and prevent sharp edges. But the subpanel just
has a short 3" dia. plastic pipe that terminates at the other side of
the block wall. How do I secure the romex? My wiring book and home
inspection book do not discuss this situation--they only say to use
clamps to secure cable when exiting any box.

If I run the cable directly out the pipe and staple it to the joists
about 1' above the pipe termination, there's nothing sharp to cut the
wire, but isn't there a danger that someone could snag the loose
cable hanging out of the pipe and it off a breaker? What's the
correct way to do this? Is there an NEC code for this? The cable
feeding the subpanel is completely enclosed in the same type of PVC
conduit running into the box--but I can't do this for multiple
circuits running out, can I?

My friend, who is more knowledgable with wiring than I, is helping me
(does that make you feel more comfortable?), but he has not worked
with this type of panel before. He suggested we secure the cable to
the block wall with those pipe clips/clamps (whatever you call them--I
could draw you a picture, but I'd probably use the wrong word and get
chastised) and some sort of masonry screw.