Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default gas fired hot water heater needs coffee?

Hi all,

i've got an older gas fired water heater in my house - came with the
house, I guess it's probably about 20 years old. It works fine, but I
do have one issue with it. If I am the *first* person to take a
shower in the morning, I leave the valve on full hot, and I have a
somewhat acceptably warm shower, but not quite as hot as I'd like. If
someone else showers first, they experience this same effect, but by
the time they've left the bathroom and I go in to take *my* shower, I
am rewarded with steamy hotness. It's like the hot water heater will
maintain a certain temperature if it sits overnight, but once someone
starts drawing off hot water it heats the water up even hotter.

I tried simply increasing the temperature setting on the HWH, but that
caused the pop off valve to activate a couple of times.

Any ideas if there's an easy adjustment I can make, or what the
problem might be? I can't really afford to buy a new hot water
heater, although I know that it's old enough that I will have to if it
ever stops working for any reason.

thanks,

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:

Hi all,

i've got an older gas fired water heater in my house - came with the
house, I guess it's probably about 20 years old. It works fine, but I
do have one issue with it. If I am the *first* person to take a
shower in the morning, I leave the valve on full hot, and I have a
somewhat acceptably warm shower, but not quite as hot as I'd like. If
someone else showers first, they experience this same effect, but by
the time they've left the bathroom and I go in to take *my* shower, I
am rewarded with steamy hotness.

The gas control (thermostat) on water heaters
is purposely built with a wide "differential"
between on and off points.

Overnight, the tank temp drifts downward very
slowly and doesn't quite trip the control on again
until water is used.

There is no adjustment for this. A new control
*might* cure it, but not worth investing on an old tank.

BTW, when you get a new tank installed, ask about
a "thermal expansion tank". It's a small bladder
tank added to the piping and will help prevent "pop-off".

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can wrap the water heater with an insulation blanket...will save money
and may help the temp problem. If possible do laundry or run the dishwasher
later at night.

"N8N" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
N8N wrote:

[...]

Is this really true? I have a new water
heater ( 1 year) and
it does the same thing. My old one did
it also, but it sedimented
up pretty bad. I was disappointed with
the new when when
there were such wide swings. BTW, the
water heater 2 back
in time, didn't do this!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

N8N wrote:

[...]

It's a crap shoot. The controls are fairly crude
mechanical devices and the tolerances quite loose.

Sorry, I don't have any "easy" answer for this.
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 5:38 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

N8N wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

My tank water heater did the same thing.

If I came home and saw my wife had done laundry I knew I would get a
nice hot shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:57:21 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

N8N wrote:

[...]

Would better insulation on the tank help?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy