Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Sealing a Crack In A Metal Exhaust Duct From A Gas Fired Hot Water Heater ?

Hello:

Just found a crack/tear in the 3" diameter round sheet metal duct that
funnels the exhaust from a gas fired water heater (the typical cylindrical
type) to the main duct going to the chimney.
Probably about 1 to 2 inches in length.

Looks like it is a big job to replace the duct.

Was wondering -

Is it code permissible to place a conforming metal patch, perhaps held on
with two pop-rivets,
over the cdrack ?

That sure seems to me like a simple approach, but before I get a contractor
in I wanted to ask here. If a good idea, and code allowable, should some
kind of "gunk" be placed under the metal patch also ?

How about that metal duct tape ? It certainly would seal it, but could
this be considered a "permanent" fix ?

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Sealing a Crack In A Metal Exhaust Duct From A Gas Fired HotWa...

Replace it, thats not a big job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Is the Flue double walled. A crack in the outer wall but not the inner may
not expose you to fumes.

I wouldn't consider metal tape to be perminant but might use it until the
contractor can get to you. Though they may stand up to HVAC ducts, an
exhaust flue can get very hot and I don't know of any tape adhesive that
will last long like that.

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What about JB Weld? I don't know if it would work. I don't know if it
would be safe. I don't know much ;0

But, you might investigate and see what you think

.. http://jbweld.net/faq.php#faq001

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Just to explain further, a double walled duct combines intake and exhaust in
one pipe. If the inner wall cracks, the idea is that the flame will go out
as a safety measure. If it is a single wall duct then unless you enjoy
carbon monoxide poisoning, replace it.

.net...

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Water heater in series to use as storage tank ... good or bad? Fred Home Repair 12 January 29th 05 01:38 PM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM