Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement window woes

I had planned to buy replacement windows for my home but have run into
a snag... The existing window frames are metal, which means than
installing conventional replacement windows as they were designed to
be installed is not an option. Instead, I need to completely remove
the metal frame. Now normally, I would replace the window with new
construction window by pulling back the siding and nailing the nail
fin, then replacing thesiding, however this is not possible either. I
have asbestos siding, which I am not ready to replace which I do not
want to mess with (I have a young child).

I have heard (read?) that you can cut the nail fin off of a new
construction window and mound it as you would a replacement window.
(or that you can buy new construction windows without the nail fin?)
This would provide me with the framing material found in the new
construction window without having to build a new frame...

Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jaezif" wrote in message
ups.com...

snipped
I have heard (read?) that you can cut the nail fin off of a new
construction window and mound it as you would a replacement window.
(or that you can buy new construction windows without the nail fin?)
This would provide me with the framing material found in the new
construction window without having to build a new frame...

Does anyone know if this will work?

You can cut it off or order it without. Are you thinking vinyl? There is
very little difference between the NC and the replacement windows. Size is
about all. There is no "extra framing material". They just add a nail flange
to the window.

How are you windows finished on the outside and inside? A picture or three
here might be nice. You can post for free a lot of places including my sig
line.

You might be more pleased if you cut out the old, finish the opening and use
a replacement window.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 3:46 pm, "jaezif" wrote:
[...]

In addition to Colbyt's suggestions, please describe the "asbestos
siding".
As long as the asbestos containing material is not sanded or otherwise
is not made into small bits,
it is safe.
TB

Replacement window minus the replacement Gabrielli Home Repair 3 July 18th 06 02:26 PM
Window Replacement KTECH Home Repair 2 April 26th 06 12:16 PM
Window replacement KTECH Home Repair 0 March 20th 06 05:33 PM
window replacement John H. Home Repair 3 November 28th 05 11:01 PM
Window pane replacement JoeHomeOwner Home Repair 0 August 15th 05 09:09 PM