Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl floor install

I am laying some Armstrong no-glue sheet vinyl in our laundry room. Reading
the recommend installation procedures on Armstrong's web site and according
to the guy at Lowe's-- I should unroll and let the vinyl "acclimate" it's
self to my environment for 48 hrs before installing. How necessary is this?
If anything the vinyl is colder than it will ever be in my house, from the
drive home(1/2 hour in the back of my truck at 10°), so at worse I would
think it may expand a little. While the vinyl was at Lowes it was between
60° and 70° and my house is about 68°, the humidity all around is very
little. So am I setting myself up for issues if I just go ahead and lay the
vinyl? What do the pros do, deliver the vinyl days in advance of an install?
Don't they just show up and install the floor? Thanks for any input or
suggestions.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SuperPoo" wrote in message
newsY2yh.2985$yI1.1007@trndny01...
I am laying some Armstrong no-glue sheet vinyl in our laundry room. Reading
the recommend installation procedures on Armstrong's web site and according
to the guy at Lowe's-- I should unroll and let the vinyl "acclimate" it's
self to my environment for 48 hrs before installing. How necessary is this?

Why not ask the guys at Armstrong. They probably spent $250,000 doing
research on how to best install the flooring so they may have some idea.

Personally, I'd only wait 44 hours and take the chance, but I'm a daring
(and debonair) kind of guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought unrolling and "acclimatizing" was to let the curl in the
vinyl relax, not to have the temperature equilibriate. The
temperature would equilibriate in a few minutes, though humidity may
take longer. When I did vinyl it was easier to work with after laid
flat for a day. But I'm no expert.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

"SuperPoo" wrote
I am laying some Armstrong no-glue sheet vinyl in our laundry room.
Reading the recommend installation procedures on Armstrong's web site and
according to the guy at Lowe's-- I should unroll and let the vinyl
"acclimate" it's self to my environment for 48 hrs before installing. How
necessary is this? If anything the vinyl is colder than it will ever be in
my house, from the drive home(1/2 hour in the back of my truck at 10°), so
at worse I would think it may expand a little. While the vinyl was at
Lowes it was between 60° and 70° and my house is about 68°, the humidity
all around is very little. So am I setting myself up for issues if I just
go ahead and lay the vinyl? What do the pros do, deliver the vinyl days in
advance of an install? Don't they just show up and install the floor?
Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Steve

Steve,

I think you better read Armstrong's installation instructions again. It
says "just prior to installation, lay flooring out flat to acclimate to
conditions". It doesn't say a thing about 48 hrs.
http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/23444.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

"Moe" wrote
I think you better read Armstrong's installation instructions again. It
says "just prior to installation, lay flooring out flat to acclimate to
conditions". It doesn't say a thing about 48 hrs.
http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/23444.pdf

I should clarify it doesn't say a thing about laying out for 48 hrs, the
key words are "just prior to installation, etc".

The mention of 48 hrs. in the installation instructions is in reference to
climate/temperature.

how to take off vinyl floor [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 02:32 PM
Old vinyl floor [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 19th 06 09:58 PM
Vinyl Floor and Standing Shower, damaged floor edge Mansour Home Repair 1 February 20th 06 06:22 AM
vinyl window install + humidity Scot Home Repair 2 June 9th 05 01:47 PM
Vinyl Siding and Sliding door install John Sheehy Home Repair 2 May 23rd 05 11:02 PM