Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pump

Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

eggert28 wrote:

Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

Get a roll of corrugated pipe and use it temorarily.
Maybe even carry it back inside (garage?) after use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 8:28 pm, (eggert28) wrote:
Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

More info would be nice. Boiling water works well if it's not too
bad. If the pipe is exposed and of a short distance it could be cut
out and replaced or even carried inside to thaw. That poly pipe is
cheap. Your other option is wait for a warmer weather.

Interestingly, the BORG where I live stops stocking poly pipe in the
winter but Ace hardware keeps it in the back with samples of every
diameter out on the isle. Your best choice to avoid the problem is to
use a shorter pipe or run the pump manually during the cold weather so
the pipe can be drained.

I live up in the northwoods our low tonite is expected to be negative
30 below farenheight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 6:28 pm, (eggert28) wrote:
Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

I can't think of any reasonable way to thaw out the line. Once the
weather allows, correct the lay of theline so water does not remain in
it. There should be a constant slope down to the pipe outlet once it
leaves the heated space.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

depending on the length of the freeze, you can put a garden hose on your hot
water tank, put a quantity of hot water in the sump, then take the hose out
and start hosing the suspected frozen area. Once it starts moving any small
amount of water, keep the warm water going into the sump to finish the thaw
job. Then take the low spots out of the line to prevent pooling. Been
there, done that.

--
Steve Barker

"eggert28" wrote in message
Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"eggert28" wrote in message
Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

Don't know how much or where it's located but if you can get to it, hair
dryers work pretty good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

eggert28 wrote:
Does anyone know what I can do for a frozen sump pump line?
My lines going outside are plastic so I don't think fire would work.
Any options would be helpful. Thank you.

Sometimes, if the freeze is underground,
you just may have to bypass the
whole thing and use an above ground
pipe/hose until it thaws. I've done
that in the past. Now I have a 4" PVC