Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions to close gaps on balcony floor

Hi,

I stay in an apartment on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately, my downstairs
neighbors are heavy smokers and I am sensitive to it. I talked to the
Apt mgmt and legally they can't do anything.

The problem is that my balcony floor is made up of wooden planks with
about 2-3mm gaps in them. The only ventilation the bedroom can get is
through the window opening into the balcony. so when the folks
downstairs are enjoying a puff, the smoke comes into the bedroom if my
window is open.

I was thinking I would try to out some duct tape on all the gaps and see
if that could solve the problem. There are still the 1-2 inch gaps in
the railing but my guess is the smoke mainly comes through the gaps on
the floor rather than the railing (railing is about 5 ft from the window).

Any better suggestions for me apart from the duct tape, something that I
can get from local home depot/lowes and I can remove it when I leave the
apartment?

Thanks in Adv.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ranjit" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You can't plug the cracks in the deck- they are for drainage. Without them,
the deck will rot. Landlord will not be happy if you put anything out there.
Maybe a piece of outdoor carpet, but I doubt it will help much with the
smoke.

Put a window fan in bedroom window blowing OUT, and crack a window on the
other end of the apartment.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ranjit" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

What the other person said is correct. I'll add that duct tape will leave an
unbelievably gooey mess that the landlord will expect YOU to clean up before
you move out. When you discover what it's like to remove that mess, you will
kill yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a product called "backer rod". Get some closed cell
backer rod, probably 1/4", stuff it in the cracks. When you're
finished, it will zip right out. Here is an example:
http://www.bayindustries.com/backerrod/milehigh.html

The stuff is cheap. It may not be available at the Borg or the
local hardware store. Find a commercial construction supply store
or one that does only caulk .

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Ranjit" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Ranjit" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

How about a piece of plywood or maybe some of that acrylic they use under
desks ?

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 12:48:08 -0800, Ranjit wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking I would try to out some duct tape on all the gaps and see

Duct tape will leave stick'm all over the place, and it will come off
in the hot sun (except for the sticky goo). If I were the landlord,
I'd charge you a lot when you left.

if that could solve the problem. There are still the 1-2 inch gaps in
the railing but my guess is the smoke mainly comes through the gaps on
the floor rather than the railing (railing is about 5 ft from the window).

Any better suggestions for me apart from the duct tape, something that I

Various kinds of foam come in a rope form. I have some one inch
downstairs, but I think you could probably find 4 or 5 mm stuff that
can be pushed into the slot between the planks. If you're not sure
which size to use, get samples of each, 2 to 4 inches, and see which
size goes in best. Let it sit for a few days to decide if it will
last before doing the whole balcony. Maybe make a tool** that will
put the rope in so far and no farther, since I think it will be hard
to get underneath and push it back up from below.

**Like a stick with a hilt at the right distance (1/2"?)

Ah, Dan G has the right name.

Will it rot the planks? I guess I don't know, but that would be
important.

can get from local home depot/lowes and I can remove it when I leave the
apartment?

Thanks in Adv.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sheet vinyl. Although you really need to just move.
Is there anyone above you? You could build an
exhaust vent that sucks air up through the floor,
and ejects it above your porch roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone who replied.
Looks like the common suggestion is a complete no-no for the duct tape.

I had tried putting up a big tarp on the balcony floor in the past, but
that hasn't helped much. I guess the best plan would be to ask the apt
mgmt for a diff apt . I guess this could be a valid reason to ask them
not to charge me loads of $ for the mid-term move.

Thanks again everyone, thank god I didn't get over enthusiastic with the
duct tape this weekend .

Cheers,
Ranjit