Posted to alt.home.repair
kc kc is offline

Default Question About Using a Propane Forced Air (torpedo style) Heater in Garage

I have a 55,000 BTU propane forced air heater that I am using to warm
up my detached uninsulated, and somewhat drafty 2.5 car garage. I open
a window to ensure that carbon monoxide does not build up.

My question is about safe placement of the propane tank which is
fueling the heater. I know propane is a heavy gas that sinks and
pools. Safety guidelines say not to bring the propane tank into the
area you are heating. The hose that came with the heater is 10' long.
I need another 5' or 10' to position the heater where I want it and
have the tank placed outdoors. Is adding an extension or replacing the
10' hose with a longer hose going to be detrimental the performance of
the heater?

Or, am I OK bringing the tank in the garage as long as I've tested to
ensure there are no propane leaks at the tank and heater?

Any ideas/experience would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 2:27�pm, "kc" wrote:
[...]

I have used tanks indoors for short times, after a friends house
fire.

I would buy a longer hose from a gas supplier, like a place that sells
welding supplies.

The dnger is a tank leak when your not around open door spark! BOOM

Better to roll heater outdoors when not in use

Or run a natural gas or power line for alternative heat when needed

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have that heater as well. 3-car attached garage. In use, everything
is in the garage. I run it until it gets a little too warm, then shut
it off. When the chill returns, I fire it up again. When I'm through,
I disconnect everything and put the heater indoors to reduce rusting.

On 4 Feb 2007 11:27:49 -0800, "kc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
kc kc is offline

Thanks for the answers

I'm going to store the heater in my garage and the propane tank
outdoors. With the tank disconnected I don't see any reason to keep
the heater stored outdoors.

I'll look into getting a 20' hose, so that when I'm using the heater
in the garage, the tank remains outside of the garage.