Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Most common asphalt shingle nail size

Getting ready to stock up for summer projects at Menards 17% sale.
Some roofing planned, single shingles over 1/2" plywood and OSB. Saw
some commercial projects lately with a lot of the nail length hanging
down below the OSB. Seems to me the extra length is wasted, hence the
question about optimum length. Would 1 1/2" be best for a decent
quality shingle and 30 lb. felt?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 1:33 pm, "Joe" wrote:
Getting ready to stock up for summer projects at Menards 17% sale.
Some roofing planned, single shingles over 1/2" plywood and OSB. Saw
some commercial projects lately with a lot of the nail length hanging
down below the OSB. Seems to me the extra length is wasted, hence the
question about optimum length. Would 1 1/2" be best for a decent
quality shingle and 30 lb. felt?

Joe

As long as the nail is long enough to penetrate all the way through
the plywood or osb you should be in good shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 12:45 pm, wrote:
On Feb 4, 1:33 pm, "Joe" wrote:

Getting ready to stock up for summer projects at Menards 17% sale.
Some roofing planned, single shingles over 1/2" plywood and OSB. Saw
some commercial projects lately with a lot of the nail length hanging
down below the OSB. Seems to me the extra length is wasted, hence the
question about optimum length. Would 1 1/2" be best for a decent
quality shingle and 30 lb. felt?

Joe

As long as the nail is long enough to penetrate all the way through
the plywood or osb you should be in good shape.

some shingle wrappers state that the nail mush penetrate the sheathing
by 1/8". I most commonly see roofers using 1 1/4" nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1 1/2" should be fine. If you did the math, 1" may work but nail length has
more to do with the nailer than the what you are nailing.

Anything less than 1 1/4" is a pain to nail and the job would probably take
longer. So for pros, the few pennies saved on nails is wasted on labor(most
pros would use a gun, but some claim hand nailing is better).

As other have said as long as the nail sticks out a certain amount (I don't
know the code) its ok. If you think about nailing vinyl siding on 1/2" OSB,
a 3/4" nail should work but would cause allot of smashed fingers.

ups.com...