Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keep the lid on, or not?

The conundrum of toilet seat placement has been professionally investigated.

When mathematicians (I'm one) decided to tackle the problem of toilet seat
placement, I got interested. The results of applying game theory to the
question of "Leave up or down?" are interesting.

Assumptions had to be made, of course: The female performs more toilet
operations because of a smaller bladder, but the male drinks more beer. Not
considered was potential prostate problems.

Mathematical calculations demand the seat be left in its last-used position.
Researchers, however, conclude that the seat should be placed down after
toilet use. It turns out female hectoring is more compelling than science.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/s...f-635f6a445f96

Other possible considerations, such as esthetics, sanitation, and pet
hydration were ignored.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:16:37 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

The conundrum of toilet seat placement has been professionally investigated.

When mathematicians (I'm one) decided to tackle the problem of toilet seat
placement, I got interested. The results of applying game theory to the
question of "Leave up or down?" are interesting.

Assumptions had to be made, of course: The female performs more toilet
operations because of a smaller bladder, but the male drinks more beer. Not
considered was potential prostate problems.

Mathematical calculations demand the seat be left in its last-used position.
Researchers, however, conclude that the seat should be placed down after
toilet use. It turns out female hectoring is more compelling than science.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/s...f-635f6a445f96

Other possible considerations, such as esthetics, sanitation, and pet
hydration were ignored.

What is so difficult about lowering the toilet seat if it is up? Does
the female just sit down without looking and wedge herself into the
bowl? You need do that only once and learn a lesson for life to look
first before you sit. I think this toilet seat conundrum is more a
question of esthetics. To a female a up toilet seat looks ugly and
un-neat. She wants her house to look tidy. That's it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In an earlier part of my life, I often spent weekends at a female-only house
(Mother, 2 little sisters, various strays wandering through.) Whenever they
would bitch about the toilet seat, my stock response was 'You're lucky I
bother to lift it.' That usually shut them up for awhile.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Sanitation is a big issue in public facilities with unisex rooms (airplane
toilets are scary). I always thought that remote control seats would be a
nice idea. Nobody wants to touch the damned things.

As one poster said, the gals just hate to look at the seat in the up
position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

closing line in article

"It's for pure sanitary and safety considerations."

amen to that .. i keep it closed for 2 reasons (one
stated in the article)

(a). less chance of objects falling into it (like some
hotel chains love to put towel racks and / or other
shelves right over the tank. if object should fall
of shelf, where's it going ? right, straight down into
the bowl.

(b). not mentioned in article - not that i subscribe to
this, but doesn't hurt to comply - principles of feng
shui - that bowl is a waste depository, bad energy,
blah, blah, blah.... all practitioners say keep it
closed.

WASHER LID SWITCH [email protected] Home Repair 15 December 21st 06 02:02 AM
Maytag lid hinge Big Al Home Repair 1 July 12th 06 11:49 AM
Little Balls on washer lid Appliance Repair Aid Home Repair 4 September 28th 05 02:58 AM
Buying a cistern lid Stinkoman UK diy 7 May 30th 05 08:07 PM
Lid Hinge ENGLISH Woodworking 1 March 26th 05 01:42 PM