Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default fireplace door glass

i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i
am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace
door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:51:45 -0500, cj wrote:

i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i
am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace
door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated

Just look for a glass company in your phone book, and tell them
what you're after.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

cj wrote:
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i
am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace
door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

I believe the glass in a fireplace door is tempered. Did you realize
that? Using regular glass might break when exposed to the reflected heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 6:47 pm, Ken wrote:
cj wrote:
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i
am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace
door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

Try this place.

http://www.onedayglass.com/index.php

If you really want some glass that is virtually shatterproof for
fireplace doors, use the NeoCeram stuff they sell. I blew out two
sets of fireplace doors (two different places) and found out that
tempered glass doors are not supposed to be closed when there is a
fire (?). Seems a bit odd...

Anyway the NeoCeram stuff is nice, you can put ice on one side and a
blowtorch on the other side and it won't shatter. The down side is it
is pricey! (e.g. two pieces 22"x24" is about $300).

They also sell tempered glass if needed too. No idea on that price.

Good site, good people, they'll customize the glass any way you want
(e.g. holes drilled, finished edges, etc), fast too. I'm sure there
are other places that sell this stuff too.

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace
but i am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for
fireplace door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be
appreciated cj

Do you know you must order the glass made to size. You can not cut it
once it is processed. A local glass company, likely one that works with the
local fire place shops should be able to take care of you.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i am
having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace door
glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

Maybe try an inquiry at a woodstove shop?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:47:32 GMT, Ken wrote:

cj wrote:
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i
am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace
door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

I believe the glass in a fireplace door is tempered. Did you realize
that? Using regular glass might break when exposed to the reflected heat.

That's why he's looking for *fireplace* door glass.

But you make a good point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I dunno all about this kind of stuff, but I remember when I bought a
set of fireplace doors and frame at HD a couple of years ago I was
suprised to find that same warning in the installation instructions.

And of course the photo on the carton label showed the glass doors
closed with a fire blazing behind them.

Go figger, but to play it safe, I've just closed the screened doors
when the fire's burning and closed the glass doors after it's died
down.

But your fireplace already has a flue to close when there is no fire. If glass
doors are only closed when there is no fire then they are doing NOTHING. There
would be zero reason to even have them.

Common sense dictates that one uses glass (as opposed to something opaque)
because you want to SEE something on the other side. I don't know about you,
but I don't find a fireplace with no fire burning anything I want to
particularly look at. So again, only closed when there is no fire means that
the doors should just be made of steel. There would be no reason to use glass
at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KGB KGB is offline

Hi,,, er,, uh,,, is everyone on this site really touchy? Or is it
just me. DAMN! Y'all need a deep breath, and a valium!

Besides, fireplaces suck,,, the heat right out of your house don't
they? Glass or no? I'm making a wood stove out of an old water
heater tank, thought about glazing the front but figured it would blow
sooner or later.

Thanks for your thoughts,
calm or otherwise.
KGB

Posted to alt.home.repair

KGB wrote:
Hi,,, er,, uh,,, is everyone on this site really touchy? Or is it
just me. DAMN! Y'all need a deep breath, and a valium!

Besides, fireplaces suck,,, the heat right out of your house don't
they? Glass or no? I'm making a wood stove out of an old water
heater tank, thought about glazing the front but figured it would blow
sooner or later.

Thanks for your thoughts,
calm or otherwise.
KGB

Don't use usenet much huh?

You think this was a heated exchange? There is a total of three exclamation
marks in the thread (two of them from you) and exactly one expletive (yours).

If you're going to view a little emphasis as "being touchy" then you're going to
have a rather skewed opinion of many things you read on newsnet.

My "enthusiasm" for the fireplace door issue has been honed by numerous
conversations with my significant other who is unable to see the clarity of my
argument. If that made my post seem harsh I apologise profusely. I have a
similar enthusiasm when my mother insists that going outdoors in cold weather is
the reason you catch colds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i am
having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace door
glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

CJ, if you are looking to save the heat in your house (and any produced by
the fire) from going straight up the chimney the glass doors may help a
tiny bit. But if you are really looking to cut down on the lost heat I
would really suggest looking at a new wood stove. Plus, most stoves have
an air wash system that will keep that new glass from turning black after 2
fires and prevent you from seeing anything anyway.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Yeahbut..... Those closed glass doors, just like the ones on our china
cabinet, help keep what's inside of the fireplace from getting all
dusty, don't they? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:12:53 -0500, "Zephyr" Someguy@an email
address.com wrote:

"cj" wrote in message
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i am
having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace door
glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

CJ, if you are looking to save the heat in your house (and any produced by
the fire) from going straight up the chimney the glass doors may help a
tiny bit. But if you are really looking to cut down on the lost heat I
would really suggest looking at a new wood stove. Plus, most stoves have
an air wash system that will keep that new glass from turning black after 2
fires and prevent you from seeing anything anyway.

Dave

If you have both solid glass doors, and and external combustion-air
supply, a fireplace should be able to get to nearly 1/3d as
efficient as a stove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My kids accidentally broke the glass on my fireplace glass door and I
looked around at glass shops for a replacement. I didnt realize how
bad my damper was untill those doors were out. I ended up going a less
expensive route and getting a chimney balloon to plug the fireplace
chimney flue. This solved the bad damper and as for the glass doors I
just removed them and put a candelabra in the hearth.
I never used the fireplace much anyway, it made my home feel colder
when I used it anyway. The only comfy spot was right in front of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 5:51 pm, cj wrote:
i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i
am having a hard time finding just theglass..googeling for fireplace
doorglassbrings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated
cj

If you are looking for glass for a fireplace, it needs to be a special
type of temperd glass that is heat resistant and able to withstand
high temps. If you are interested, we can order you some and cut it
to your sizes however, I must warn you that it is pretty expensive. I
believe it's somewhere in the $400 price range for a standard opening.

Jeff Salmeto
The Shower Door Store
Quality Shower Enclosures For Your Home
www.theshowerdoorstore.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 3 Feb 2007 12:08:16 -0800, "German Jerry"
wrote:

My kids accidentally broke the glass on my fireplace glass door and I
looked around at glass shops for a replacement. I didnt realize how
bad my damper was untill those doors were out. I ended up going a less
expensive route and getting a chimney balloon to plug the fireplace
chimney flue. This solved the bad damper and as for the glass doors I
just removed them and put a candelabra in the hearth.
I never used the fireplace much anyway, it made my home feel colder
when I used it anyway. The only comfy spot was right in front of it.

I think you're supposed to use it before you turn on the furnace in
the fall, and after you turn it off in the spring.