Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help replacing Hot Surface Ignitor on Carrier 58PAV

Hello all.

My gas furnace went out yesterday. It's flashing code 14. I opened
it up today, and saw a crack on the Hot Surface Ignitor (HSI).

I'm thinking of replacing it myself. However, neither the user manual
I have from Carrier or their online version has a diagramed
instruction on how to replace it.

Do you know if there is a place on the net that shows how one goes
about replacing a HSI on the Carrier 58PAV?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 10:47 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
Hello all.

My gas furnace went out yesterday. It's flashing code 14. I opened
it up today, and saw a crack on theHotSurfaceIgnitor(HSI).

I'm thinking of replacing it myself. However, neither the user manual
I have fromCarrieror their online version has a diagramed
instruction on how to replace it.

Do you know if there is a place on the net that shows how one goes
about replacing a HSI on theCarrier58PAV?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,
You unmount it by removing the screw. Do the reverse. If it is not an
OEM direct replcement one, you may have to splice lead wires to keep the
original connector. My furnace iscarriertoo. I always kkep a spare
one. It's 120V AC driven. Make sure you turn the power off to the furnace.

Tony:

Thank you very much for the info. I have a power switch inside the
furnace closet, can I simply turn that off? It actually turns off the
light inside the furnace. I couldn't figure out how many or which
screws to remove. Where do you usually get your replacement HSI?
Thanks again.