Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pine cones as fire starters

Jim wrote:
I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very
recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of
making pine cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood"
fire starters sold commercially?

Yes pine cones are FREE! I used to use a propane tourch, worked great and
one tank would last two seasons at least for me. It gives you heat where you
want it when you want it done.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very
recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of making pine
cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?

They do have some pitch, but that should not be a problem when used as
starters. I often used cardboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 9:07 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
"Jim" wrote in ...

I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very
recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of making pine
cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?They do have some pitch, but that should not be a problem when used as

starters. I often used cardboard.

I pour parafin wax in egg cartons. Let it harden. Tear off an
individual "cup" and put it under the kindling and light it. Perfect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very
recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of making pine
cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?

My pine cones don't burn worth a darn. Must differ from species to species.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?

Yes. If everyone used pine cones, the "fat wood" suppliers would go out of
business. The workers would get laid off and be collecting welfare. They
could not afford new cars so GM and Ford would start losing money and laying
off workers. Our taxes would increase to cover their medical expenses and
they will go up because their kids won't be eating nutritious foods and
they'd get sick from it. The population would increase because, not working
all day, the fat wood guys would be home reproducing. That will increase
the burden on our schools in six years.

Damn, you are one greedy SOB for causing all that damage just to save a few
bucks. Have some compassion!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Jim" wrote in message

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?

Yes. If everyone used pine cones, the "fat wood" suppliers would go out

of
business. The workers would get laid off and be collecting welfare. They
could not afford new cars so GM and Ford would start losing money and

laying
off workers.

GM and Ford will START to lose money????

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in
:

"Jim" wrote in message
I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years.
Very recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of
making pine cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood"
fire starters sold commercially?

My pine cones don't burn worth a darn. Must differ from species to
species.

I've found they work great,burn very hot.
They have a lot of turpentine in them.

Maybe yours were too old and dried up,or wet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:17:33 -0600, Jim wrote:

I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very
recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of making pine
cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?

imho:

Well they seem free, and only one drawback I can guess, is that you
stockpile them in your home, you could be bringing in pests.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

GM and Ford will START to lose money????

My portfolio dropped 30% with Ford's dismal projection. I might have to go
back to work as a Wal-Mart greeter. China and Wal-Mart Rock!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:17:33 -0600, Jim wrote:

I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very
recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of making pine
cone fire starters.

My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful.
Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter.
Worked fine.

Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire
starters sold commercially?

I know many folks who use pine cones...to start fires and other
things.