DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quartz Space Heater (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/190582-quartz-space-heater.html)

Jeffrey Lebowski January 31st 07 06:36 PM

Quartz Space Heater

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

I haven't looked at you picture, nor will I, but I assume it reflects
your "professionalism."

It shows him playing "pocket pool". LOL

Recalling that's what my brother said--just before he snapped the picture.

You January 31st 07 07:05 PM

Quartz Space Heater

In article ,
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"You" wrote in message

There is no such thing as "0 Degrees Kelvin"... What Grade School Physics
Class did you flunk out of? If that were true, all Dark Matter would
dissaccociate, and Physics as we understand it wouldn't work at all.
If there is no heat in space, then where does the waste heat go, that
the Heat Dissipating Panels, that line the Shuttle Cargo Bay Doors
go?.... Space is not a void. It has Gas, Dust, and all kinds of
Particles, moving around in it. These all have energy associated with
them, when referenced to Earth, or any other reference point you can
name. That energy, will ulltimatly be transfered into heat when those
things interact with any other matter, or energy, in which they come in
contact, or influence.

where do you guys come up with this stuff..... Idiot's R' Us........

Ok Mr ****y... space is 2.7 Kelvin

But if you measured the temp with NO light, or radiation, it would be 0
Kelvin.

Happy Now?

No, you still got it WRONG... In Space, there is NO place where there
isn't Light, Radiation, Gas, Dust, Particles, ect. So therefor, one
CAN'T measure 0 Degrees Kelvin, and even "IF" you could find such a
place in the Universe, that had these conditions, just what are you
planning to USE to measure it. Anything, you use, would then bring
energy into that space, and would raise the temp ABOVE 0 Degrees Kelvin.
Also, one can't have Atoms, or even Protons and Neutrons, at 0 Degress
Kelvin, as they would dissaccociate into their Basic Particles, long
before you could ever get near 0 Degrees Kelvin, at minimum, or maybe
down to their component Energy Strings, if one believes String Theory,
to be the way of the Universe. Actually, "IF" String Theory, is
correct, at 0 Degrees Kelvin, all String Energy would cease to exist,
which would also mean that at 0 Degrees Kelvin, the Universe would cease
to exist.

It seems you couldn't even graduate for the Idiot's R' Us School of
Physics..........

January 31st 07 08:36 PM

Quartz Space Heater

"You" wrote in message
In article ,
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"You" wrote in message

[...]

I could care less... I don't ever plan to go there to find out.

It seems you couldn't even graduate for the Idiot's R' Us School of
Physics..........

If you want to argue... go Google and argue with the information they
provide to you.

I really don't care what the temperature of space is...

Mike February 1st 07 01:28 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Nick Pine" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Where is electricity .24/kw?

Nowhere, altho PV people get 50 cents/kWh in Germany.

You might enjoy learning the difference between power and energy.

Nick

My God .50/kw how to those people afford live and how to manufacturers sell
anything that competitive?
What are PV people? I wonder where the most expensive electricity is in the
US and the cheapest?

Joe T February 1st 07 02:31 AM

Quartz Space Heater

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:05:43 GMT, You wrote:

In article ,
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"You" wrote in message

[...]

And there is another theory that this has already happened. The
universe has ceased to exist, and has been replaced by something even
more inexplicable. :-)

Mike Hartigan February 1st 07 03:11 AM

Quartz Space Heater

In article fnbwh.3434$Tz4.78@trndny06, says...

"Nick Pine" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Where is electricity .24/kw?

Nowhere, altho PV people get 50 cents/kWh in Germany.

You might enjoy learning the difference between power and energy.

Nick

My God .50/kw how to those people afford live and how to manufacturers sell
anything that competitive?
What are PV people? I wonder where the most expensive electricity is in the
US and the cheapest?

I don't know what it's like today, but, as I recall, customers of
some of the municipal power companies in New York that were buying
hydro power from PASNY were paying something like $0.004/kwh (yes,
that's less than 1/2 cent) as recently as 1999. Needless to say,
these were all electric homes.

Solar Flare February 1st 07 04:53 AM

Quartz Space Heater

Daestrom. Funny thing the MBTU rating I have seen always seems to mean
thousands of BTUs. The old "M" means thousands apparently as in some
of the old style prefixes. Ya' gotta' hate it.

"daestrom" wrote in message

Da Cable Guy wrote in message
I have a small propane heater for sale. 150,000,000 BTUs

Not likely. 150 M BTU per hour?? That's on the order of 44 MW. It
would
go through a 150 lb bottle of propane in just minutes (if you could
even get
enough flow rate through a standard propane rig to supply it).

daestrom

Solar Flare February 1st 07 04:54 AM

Quartz Space Heater

What does "difference" mean to you?

"CJT" wrote in message
Solar Flare wrote:

What kind of radiation?

radiant heat energy

"CJT" wrote in message

Solar Flare wrote:

Hey ! Free illumination!

Do you believe in perpetual motion too?

You do know the difference between radiation, convection, and
conduction, don't you?

"R.L. Deboni" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

No kidding... this is what people don't understand.

Which produces more heat?

A 1 - 500 watt halogen light.
B 5 - 100 watt light bulbs.
C 1 - 500 watt electric heater
D 1 - 500 watt quartz heater
E 1 - 500 watt baseboard heater

Which answer below is correct?

1 They all create different amounts of heat.
2 A & B are equal, C & E are equal, but D produces more heat.
3 A, B & D are equal and C & E are equal, but C & E produce
more heat.
4 (A,B,C,D & E) All create the same amount of heat.

Correct, but incomplete, answer (have renumbered answers) is 4

But complete answer is:

A,B and D produce more radiation heat
C less radiation
E most heats buy convection

Therefore, if you are sitting exposed to sources A, B and D, you
feel warmer with the same power (sounds strange ?) as of C or E.

If you are interested ONLY in heating a room, answer 1) is ok.
But if you are interested in heating people (for example,
outdoor), sources A, B and D are very efficient options.

Let us put it this way: A,B and D are most efficient in
delivering the same amount of power of C and E, but where you
need it mo on your body.

Example: a keep 64 F at home. When I am walking around it is a
comfortable temperature. But when I sit down, I start to feel a
little cold.
Solution: a 150W halogen lamp with reflector pointed in my
direction. 150W is not that much power, but you have to compare
it to your body heating power (about 100-200W), so if you could
deliver that power to heat yourself and not the walls of your
house ... :-)

R.L.Deboni

--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt

Solar Flare February 1st 07 04:58 AM

Quartz Space Heater

Do you seriously know that little about energy?

Do you think your sound equipment manufacturer would design all your
energy to transform into heat instead of sound? Get an Onkyo amp.
Calss G amp. Very little heat and linear current based outputs. This
is called efficiency. Doesn't heat my room not matter how many hundred
watts of sound it puts out.

"Justin" ' wrote in message

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

| "Justin" ' wrote in message
| u...
|
| | "Solar Flare" wrote in
message
| | .. .
| | Light is not heat. Get over it.
| |
| | I hope your sound system noise doesn't heat up your room
too.
| |
| | Geeesh. Go back to school you energy dummies. Your eyeballs
are all
| | burned from illumination being converted to heat in your
brains.
| |

| So lets see how long you can hold a 500 watt halogen bulb in
your hand
| after
| it has been burning for ten minutes.
|

| And of course, loudspeakers never overheat and burn out from
supplying
them
| with too much wattage...
|
| --

Yep, that too, never heard of it either.

Solar Flare February 1st 07 04:59 AM

Quartz Space Heater

Too much volume on your stereo is overheating your brain.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"CJT" wrote in message
Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

"Justin" ' wrote in message
m.au...

| "Solar Flare" wrote in
message
| .. .
| Light is not heat. Get over it.
|
| I hope your sound system noise doesn't heat up your room
too.

| Geeesh. Go back to school you energy dummies. Your eyeballs
are

all
| burned from illumination being converted to heat in your
brains.

So lets see how long you can hold a 500 watt halogen bulb in
your hand

after

it has been burning for ten minutes.

And of course, loudspeakers never overheat and burn out from
supplying

them

with too much wattage...

--

I'm not trying to defend the OP, but loudspeakers overheating
misses the

Point being then that sound energy is somehow unique--in that it
just
somehow 'magically dissapears' from the universe...

--

No, point being that loudspeakers don't overheat because of the
sound energy they emanate. They overheat from the energy they

Which is heat created... which makes his post CRAP.

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:03 AM

Quartz Space Heater

As I said before the trolls twisted things to create confusion.

"The unit that produces the least wasted energy" i.e Light, sound,
motion, etc.

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:41:13 +1100, "Justin" ' wrote:

| "Solar Flare" wrote in message
| .. .
| Light is not heat. Get over it.
|
| I hope your sound system noise doesn't heat up your room too.
|
| Geeesh. Go back to school you energy dummies. Your eyeballs
are all
| burned from illumination being converted to heat in your
brains.

So lets see how long you can hold a 500 watt halogen bulb in your
hand

after
it has been burning for ten minutes.

The fact that you get burned is evidence of wasted energy. Consider
that you wanted light, not burned hands.

Consider we were talking about heat and not light.

It's also not wasted heat if you are heating your home in the
winter.

But the real question was, "which produces more heat".

Get back on track!

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:05 AM

Quartz Space Heater

So electricity units are the same as thermal units.

I'll have to remember next time I measure my PV panel output in BTUs

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)

Plonk.

Nick

I guess you don't like FACTS!!!!

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:06 AM

Quartz Space Heater

There is an idiot in every corner these days.

I bought a bucket of volts, the other day, on eBay, real cheap.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

wrote:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)

Plonk.

Nick

I guess you don't like FACTS!!!!

Apparently not -- he argued with me over how many liters are in a
US

gallon.
It's easy enough to look up...

3.785 vs 3.784, in my 2006 book. Maybe it's grown since you looked
it up.

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters

You guys might enjoy learning the difference between power and
energy :-)

Nick

I just looked in the dictionary under Energy... and the first thing
it say
is Power.

Go Figure

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:09 AM

Quartz Space Heater

Also a unit of electricity is not a unit of heat at anytime. Yes,
there are equivalents which depend on the conversion efficiency but 1
watt is not a measurement of heat.

....and the energy to power misstated.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)

So the guy omitted the "h" in Btuh... Big deal. Everybody knew
what he

meant.

It's an extremely big deal

if you want to pick nits.

Or make any sense in an energy newsgroup.

Go away.

No thanks. Run out of civility pills?

Yes, when you showed up.

What did you do, take all of them to act half normal?

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:10 AM

Quartz Space Heater

so, apologize for the error and get on with it.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message
If you can't come up with something better than SPELLING or GRAMMER
issues,
I feel really sorry for your ass!

I'm also sorry that this is all so new to you that you need EVERY
LITTLE
detail to UNDERSTAND it.

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:11 AM

Quartz Space Heater

What radio stations can you see?

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:53:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Another fact: The sun is very hot, but heat cannot exist in space.
You
may get hot when you got out on a sunny day, but NONE of the sun's
heat can get to you directly. The energy gets here as light (the
sun
is hot enough to be incandescent).

Just to clarify -- it doesn't all get here as *visible* light. Quite
a bit of
it is UV and IR.

True, and that is also EM radiation. Just with a frequency outside a
certain narrow band.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:12 AM

Quartz Space Heater

LOL. Are you actually serious or just trolling?

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:23:10 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

Light is not heat. Get over it.

True. Light is electromagnetic radiation (which can exist in empty
space). Heat (and sound) is mechanical vibration (which can't exist
in
empty space, it needs something to vibrate).

I hope your sound system noise doesn't heat up your room too.

Mechanical vibration will cause heating.

Geeesh. Go back to school you energy dummies. Your eyeballs are all
burned from illumination being converted to heat in your brains.

Light (electromagnetic radiation) will create heat when it contacts
any substance. That's what happens when you go outside on a sunny
day.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message
. ..

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
Which question do you want answered?

The one I asked...

Which produces more heat?..C and E because they don't waste as
much
energy producing visible light.

You better think again...

Which answer is correct?...None. Only C and E are the same. The
rest
all waste varying amounts of energy producing visible light.

Nothing is being wasted. The energy is being transferred to the
room
no
matter which poroduct you wish to use.

A watt is a watt... there is no getting around that.

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:14 AM

Quartz Space Heater

The magic word "convert"

Now you were saying about light is heat is sound is vibration is
friction is kinetic is power?

How many pizzas in a BTU/hr?

"CJT" wrote in message
Solar Flare wrote:
Light is not heat. Get over it.

But light converts to heat.

I hope your sound system noise doesn't heat up your room too.

I hope you're kidding. Of course sound energy converts to heat,
too.

Geeesh. Go back to school you energy dummies. Your eyeballs are all
burned from illumination being converted to heat in your brains.

Perhaps it is you who should go back to school.

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:18 AM

Quartz Space Heater

NO! Sometimes you take out a cold beer and let it warm up outside.

Maybe we need a Basic programme to express this?

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
If you have a refrigerator that consumes 500 watts
of electricity and it runs continuously, it's producing exactly the
same amount of heat as five 100 watt light bulbs.

Not sure that is 100% true. There is lots of waste heat, but
the refrigeration system is expending energy pumping heat out of the
refrigerated area, just so it can gradually be absorbed back from
your heated home. At the end of the day, does all of the energy
that the refrigerator uses really show up as waste heat in the room?

My head hurts.

Vaughn

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:20 AM

Quartz Space Heater

You haven't considered the heat produced by the ice melting, creating
noise, whilst doing it.

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"kjpro "@ usenet.com wrote:

wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:

At the end of the day, does all of the energy that the
refrigerator
uses really show up as waste heat in the room?

Yes.

No.

If it's heating season, that heat is not wasted.

I think he is saying the same thing...

He's saying that the 500 watts shows up in the room.
The prevous guy thinks "or is asking" if somehow some of those
500 watts

of
energy is going to disappear.

It depends on your definition of waste.

Whether you can make good use of the waste heat is another matter.

True, but we were talking creating heat. So in this case we're using
it for
heat. :-)

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:21 AM

Quartz Space Heater

But people are still trying to say that a watt is so many degrees is
so many Hz is so many mph.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

Consumed electric is consumed electric, no matter how you use it.

A watt is a watt, just as a BTU is a BTU...

Solar Flare February 1st 07 05:21 AM

Quartz Space Heater

You from Alaska? What would you know about heat anyway?

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article
,
"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
If you have a refrigerator that consumes 500 watts
of electricity and it runs continuously, it's producing exactly
the
same amount of heat as five 100 watt light bulbs.

Not sure that is 100% true. There is lots of waste heat, but
the
refrigeration system is expending energy pumping heat out of the
refrigerated
area, just so it can gradually be absorbed back from your heated
home. At
the
end of the day, does all of the energy that the refrigerator uses
really show
up
as waste heat in the room?

My head hurts.

Vaughn

Yes Vaughn, it does all end up in heat, in the room, which then
leaks out
of the house and heats the outside world, which then also leaks off
the
planet and heats SPACE..... wheather it is "Waste Heat" is a matter
of
Politics.......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Jeffrey Lebowski February 1st 07 05:34 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
Do you seriously know that little about energy?

Do you think your sound equipment manufacturer would design all your
energy to transform into heat instead of sound? Get an Onkyo amp.
Calss G amp. Very little heat and linear current based outputs. This
is called efficiency. Doesn't heat my room not matter how many hundred
watts of sound it puts out.

Sound energy just floats off to nowhere then, I guess...

--

February 1st 07 06:16 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
Do you seriously know that little about energy?

Do you think your sound equipment manufacturer would design all your
energy to transform into heat instead of sound? Get an Onkyo amp.
Calss G amp. Very little heat and linear current based outputs. This
is called efficiency. Doesn't heat my room not matter how many hundred
watts of sound it puts out.

Sound energy just floats off to nowhere then, I guess...

He's talking about a different type of wattage now. :-)

February 1st 07 06:18 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
There is an idiot in every corner these days.

I bought a bucket of volts, the other day, on eBay, real cheap.

Don't talk about Nick that way. Shame on you!

wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

wrote:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)

Plonk.

Nick

I guess you don't like FACTS!!!!

Apparently not -- he argued with me over how many liters are in a
US

gallon.
It's easy enough to look up...

3.785 vs 3.784, in my 2006 book. Maybe it's grown since you looked
it up.

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters

You guys might enjoy learning the difference between power and
energy :-)

Nick

I just looked in the dictionary under Energy... and the first thing
it say
is Power.

Go Figure

February 1st 07 06:19 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
Also a unit of electricity is not a unit of heat at anytime. Yes,
there are equivalents which depend on the conversion efficiency but 1
watt is not a measurement of heat.

We better rewrite that 1 watt no longer equals 3.413 BTU then.... rolleyes

wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)

So the guy omitted the "h" in Btuh... Big deal. Everybody knew
what he

meant.

It's an extremely big deal

if you want to pick nits.

Or make any sense in an energy newsgroup.

Go away.

No thanks. Run out of civility pills?

Yes, when you showed up.

What did you do, take all of them to act half normal?

February 1st 07 06:21 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
What radio stations can you see?

The one the radio displays. :-)

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:53:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Another fact: The sun is very hot, but heat cannot exist in space.
You
may get hot when you got out on a sunny day, but NONE of the sun's
heat can get to you directly. The energy gets here as light (the
sun
is hot enough to be incandescent).

Just to clarify -- it doesn't all get here as *visible* light. Quite
a bit of
it is UV and IR.

True, and that is also EM radiation. Just with a frequency outside a
certain narrow band.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

February 1st 07 06:23 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
So electricity units are the same as thermal units.

Electricity used creates heat... if you don't understand that... you need
more help than you realize.

I'll have to remember next time I measure my PV panel output in BTUs

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)

Plonk.

Nick

I guess you don't like FACTS!!!!

Jeffrey Lebowski February 1st 07 06:45 AM

Quartz Space Heater

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
Do you seriously know that little about energy?

Do you think your sound equipment manufacturer would design all your
energy to transform into heat instead of sound? Get an Onkyo amp.
Calss G amp. Very little heat and linear current based outputs. This
is called efficiency. Doesn't heat my room not matter how many hundred
watts of sound it puts out.

Sound energy just floats off to nowhere then, I guess...

He's talking about a different type of wattage now. :-)

My Nikko Alpha II makes the house lights dim during any particularily loud
passages.

--

February 1st 07 08:31 AM

Quartz Space Heater

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
Do you seriously know that little about energy?

Do you think your sound equipment manufacturer would design all your
energy to transform into heat instead of sound? Get an Onkyo amp.
Calss G amp. Very little heat and linear current based outputs. This
is called efficiency. Doesn't heat my room not matter how many

hundred
watts of sound it puts out.

Sound energy just floats off to nowhere then, I guess...

He's talking about a different type of wattage now. :-)

My Nikko Alpha II makes the house lights dim during any particularily loud
passages.

Had a sound system in a car... going down the road at 60 MPH (had a 100 A
alternator - biggest battery that would fit)... turn the radio up and up and
up...

Till it would shut down the computer and kill the engine. :-)

[email protected] February 1st 07 11:23 AM

Quartz Space Heater

Mike wrote:

Where is electricity .24/kw?

Nowhere, altho PV people get 50 cents/kWh in Germany.

You might enjoy learning the difference between power and energy.

My God .50/kw...

No... $0.50/kWh :-)

Nick

[email protected] February 1st 07 03:24 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Feb 1, 12:23 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Solar Flare" wrote in message

.. .

So electricity units are the same as thermal units.

Electricity used creates heat... if you don't understand that... you need
more help than you realize.

Not to pick nits (or 'knits'), but electricity used does not *create*
heat. Electricity used *is converted to* heat. And the amount of
heat that results is EXACTLY 3.413 Btu per watt 'consumed'. The fun
part is that it is irrelevant of what else is being done by this
electricity - lighting the room, spinning a turntable, chilling your
beer, projecting an HDTV image on a big screen, etc. The amount of
heat that results is EXACTLY 3.413 Btu per watt 'consumed'. In a very
real sense, all of these are simply free byproducts of the electricity-
to-heat conversion. And (getting sorta back on topic), during the
heating season, the efficiency of these devices is irrelevant - there
is zero energy wasted (discounting, of course, leaky windows,
inadequate insulation, etc). Each and every Btu dissipated by these
devices reduces the demand on your primary heating plant by exactly
one Btu.

But wait -- it gets even better! (this blew my mind when I first
heard it expressed this way) Assuming an 80% efficient gas furnace,
each Btu dissipated by your electric appliances/toys reduces the
demand on your primary heating plant by 1.25 Btu (an 80% furnace
sends .25 Btu of this up the chimney). You actually consume *less*
total energy, albeit at a higher cost, when you leave the lights and
the TV on all night! (Tell THAT to your 'green' friends who just
spent a small fortune replacing all their incandescent lamps with
CFL!) Pretty wild, no?

Of course, during the cooling season, it's a very different picture.

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:41 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:53:17 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

Daestrom. Funny thing the MBTU rating I have seen always seems to mean
thousands of BTUs. The old "M" means thousands apparently as in some
of the old style prefixes. Ya' gotta' hate it.

The 'M' seems to come from Roman Numerals. I've seen 'C' (for
hundreds) used that way too. The usage amount on my gas bills is in
CCF (hundred cubic feet). The amounts on the gas royalty checks I've
seen are in MCF (thousand cubic feet).

I remember finding that 'M' confusing, when I had more experience with
metric units.

.. .

Harry February 1st 07 05:44 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:21:04 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

But people are still trying to say that a watt is so many degrees is
so many Hz is so many mph.

How many gallons are in a light year? :-)

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:46 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:18:35 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

NO! Sometimes you take out a cold beer and let it warm up outside.

Buy a freezer so you can warm the beer inside.

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:49 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:34:55 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"
wrote:

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
. ..
Do you seriously know that little about energy?

Do you think your sound equipment manufacturer would design all your
energy to transform into heat instead of sound? Get an Onkyo amp.
Calss G amp. Very little heat and linear current based outputs. This
is called efficiency. Doesn't heat my room not matter how many hundred
watts of sound it puts out.

Sound energy just floats off to nowhere then, I guess...

Both sound and heat are mechanical (not electromagnetic) vibrations.

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:50 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:59:40 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

Too much volume on your stereo is overheating your brain.

Then you need some home made ice cream. It's good for brain cooling.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message
.. .

"CJT" wrote in message
Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

"Justin" ' wrote in message
m.au...

| "Solar Flare" wrote in
message

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:52 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:09:35 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

Also a unit of electricity is not a unit of heat at anytime. Yes,
there are equivalents which depend on the conversion efficiency but 1
watt is not a measurement of heat.

And not a measurement of light either.

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:54 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:11:30 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

What radio stations can you see?

I do see the tower for the local radio station :-)

I suppose you know that "certain narrow band" is the limits of human
vision.

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:53:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)

Mark Lloyd February 1st 07 05:58 PM

Quartz Space Heater

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:23:13 -0600, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
. ..
So electricity units are the same as thermal units.

Electricity used creates heat... if you don't understand that... you need
more help than you realize.

Heat is the normal byproduct of inefficiency in energy conversion. An
electric heater is essentially a device which converts electricity to
light with very low efficiency. The waste is what you want here.

I'll have to remember next time I measure my PV panel output in BTUs

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

1 Watt = 3.413 Btu (That's HEAT)