Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen smell

Hi folks,

My kitchen has had an odor for the last 2 weeks that won't go away.
Smells like rotten garbage. I tried deodorizing the disposal and that
didn't work. Best I can tell, the smell is coming from under the
sink. The smell permeates out about 10 feet.

I don't see any evidence of a water leak, so it's not mold. Best I
can figure it's garbage trapped somewhere. But where? And how do I
get rid of it? I'm not averse to hiring a plumber to come out, but I
first need to know what I'm possibly dealing with. For reference, the
house is only 8 years old, and the pipes are PVC.

While I'm thinking of it, my daughter's bathroom sink was clogged with
hair and stopped up so much it barely drained. I got some Drano gel
last night and unclogged it, flushing it with hot water. All is well
there, but is there any possible relation between the two?

TIA,
Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:39 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

My kitchen has had an odor for the last 2 weeks that won't go away.
Smells like rotten garbage. I tried deodorizing the disposal and that
didn't work. Best I can tell, the smell is coming from under the
sink. The smell permeates out about 10 feet.

It could be sewer smell from the drain but that is unlikely since the
drain trap is supposed to avoid that problem. Does the sink drain
well? Maybe an animal died under your cabinet or in the adjacent
wall. Try cleaning out the cabinet completety and see what you
find. Clean under there with an strong cleaner of pine-sol or
citrus.

While I'm thinking of it, my daughter's bathroom sink was clogged with
hair and stopped up so much it barely drained. I got some Drano gel
last night and unclogged it, flushing it with hot water. All is well
there, but is there any possible relation between the two?

Not likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Lawrence" wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:39 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

My kitchen has had an odor for the last 2 weeks that won't go away.
Smells like rotten garbage. I tried deodorizing the disposal and that
didn't work. Best I can tell, the smell is coming from under the
sink. The smell permeates out about 10 feet.

It could be sewer smell from the drain but that is unlikely since the
drain trap is supposed to avoid that problem. Does the sink drain
well? Maybe an animal died under your cabinet or in the adjacent
wall. Try cleaning out the cabinet completety and see what you
find.

Good point. Also check for any gaps and drafts esp. where the
pipes and waste lines pass through the wall/floor. Seal with
caulk, "Great Stuff" or whatever as appropriate.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My kitchen has had an odor for the last 2 weeks that won't go away.
Smells like rotten garbage. I tried deodorizing the disposal and that
didn't work. Best I can tell, the smell is coming from under the
sink. The smell permeates out about 10 feet.

While I'm thinking of it, my daughter's bathroom sink was clogged with
hair and stopped up so much it barely drained. I got some Drano gel
last night and unclogged it, flushing it with hot water. All is well
there, but is there any possible relation between the two?

Could be related. How about under the sink cabinet? If there is a floor
under the sink, it may have gotten wet under that base and is now moldy
under it. Aside from cutting a hole, I don't know how to get access. You
can cut a section out and easily patch it though with 1/4" plywood.

Could be a dead rodent under there too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Jan 2007 09:24:41 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:39 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

My kitchen has had an odor for the last 2 weeks that won't go away.
Smells like rotten garbage. I tried deodorizing the disposal and that
didn't work. Best I can tell, the smell is coming from under the
sink. The smell permeates out about 10 feet.

It could be sewer smell from the drain but that is unlikely since the
drain trap is supposed to avoid that problem. Does the sink drain
well? Maybe an animal died under your cabinet or in the adjacent
wall. Try cleaning out the cabinet completety and see what you
find. Clean under there with an strong cleaner of pine-sol or
citrus.

A bit more background first. Last year I had a water leak at the
icemaker, and water flowed down to the other end, damaging my
cabinets, which I replaced (along with some drywall, the countertop
and backsplash tile, along with a new sink and faucet) a couple of
months ago. Everything seemed fine until I started smelling that
smell. I'm getting a plumber out to look at it this week. I don't
see any water under the dishwasher, which is the area that the smell
is coming from (there, and under the sink).

I hope this isn't round 2. I'd smelled the original odor from wet
cabinets from the first time and this is more of a pungent smell, with
no visible signs of water damage like in the leak I mentioned above.
BTW, the wall I'm talking about from the refrigerator down around to
the dishwasher is an open concept (if that makes sense), so it's easy
to tell if there's damage on the other side, and there isn't.

I also doubt it's a dead animal, although it would be great if that's
all it is. I once had a house in which a rat got in between the walls
from my garage to my front porch. Smell was awful and lasted a long
time.

The problem with smell, I can't photograph it.

While I'm thinking of it, my daughter's bathroom sink was clogged with
hair and stopped up so much it barely drained. I got some Drano gel
last night and unclogged it, flushing it with hot water. All is well
there, but is there any possible relation between the two?

Not likely.

I agree. I took a shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:39 am, wrote:
[...]

Dishwasher being the focus is a real good clue. I'd suspect something stuck
and rotting in the DW drain/pump/drain hose area. A loose clamp under the DW
can make a leak that isn't big enough for visible puddles, but still stinks
like crazy. (Is the smell similar to a trash can that hasn't been cleaned?)
If a plumber is coming anyway, a R&R of the dishwasher, for recon if
nothing else, is a good place to start.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:24:13 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hi folks,

My kitchen has had an odor for the last 2 weeks that won't go away.
Smells like rotten garbage. I tried deodorizing the disposal and that
didn't work. Best I can tell, the smell is coming from under the
sink. The smell permeates out about 10 feet.

While I'm thinking of it, my daughter's bathroom sink was clogged with
hair and stopped up so much it barely drained. I got some Drano gel
last night and unclogged it, flushing it with hot water. All is well
there, but is there any possible relation between the two?

Could be related. How about under the sink cabinet? If there is a floor
under the sink, it may have gotten wet under that base and is now moldy
under it. Aside from cutting a hole, I don't know how to get access. You
can cut a section out and easily patch it though with 1/4" plywood.

Could be a dead rodent under there too.

Well, as luck would have it, the smell just happened to go away a few
weeks ago. Come to think of it, I haven't been visited by my ghost
for awhile either.