Posted to alt.home.repair

Default That'll be 69 dollars

I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Jan 2007 21:56:50 -0800, "Capri" wrote:

charged me 69

see the irony, or is it? LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Capri" wrote:
I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the next time:
most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly,
etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course, then you
get to fix the problem, too...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com, "Capri" wrote:

[...]

My mechanic doesn't charge for checking computer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

did you tell them you like to be kissed when you get ****ed

hlink.net...

"Capri" wrote:

| I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
| use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of
non
| use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got
red
| light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
| accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this
vehicle
| needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The
light
| COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
| serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
| dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
| pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
| wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the
computer
| charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!
|

| Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the
next time:
| most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto,
O'Reilly,
| etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course,
then you
| get to fix the problem, too...
|
| My mechanic doesn't charge for checking computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com,
"Capri" wrote:

[...]

Oops.....just checked with the boss. $60 for computer check, $4,000
machine plus annual upgrades for new cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

"Norminn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Norminn wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com,
"Capri" wrote:

[...]

Exactly! Computers and diag's aint cheap, think a plumber would diagnose a
problem for less?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...
and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

Why a dealer? Chances are, a local shop would have been cheaper. I never go
to the dealer unless it is warranty work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This now seems the norm with american car manufacturers-dealers, that
they will get you at both ends, when they sell you the vehicle, and then
when it needs service-parts.

Next time this happens my friend, disconnect your Battery for 20-30
seconds, and then reconnect. This normally will clear the computer, and
the "Service Engine Soon" Light, and all you'll have to do after that is
re-set your clock.

Most likely what happened that after sitting so long, there was a slight
misfire, or slightly running rough upon start-up, and the Computer saw
this as a problem. It has happened to me. After sitting too, the gas
starts getting a little crappy. Throw some fresh gas, and try to drive
it more often, even if it's just for a few miles every week. Hope this
helps. Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark D" wrote in message
This now seems the norm with american car manufacturers-dealers, that
they will get you at both ends, when they sell you the vehicle, and then
when it needs service-parts.

Next time this happens my friend, disconnect your Battery for 20-30
seconds, and then reconnect. This normally will clear the computer, and
the "Service Engine Soon" Light, and all you'll have to do after that is
re-set your clock.

Most likely what happened that after sitting so long, there was a slight
misfire, or slightly running rough upon start-up, and the Computer saw
this as a problem. It has happened to me. After sitting too, the gas
starts getting a little crappy. Throw some fresh gas, and try to drive
it more often, even if it's just for a few miles every week. Hope this
helps. Mark

Thats a great solution, up there with putting a sticker over the light so
you don't see it.
The light is on for a reason. It might not be an important reason (mine
comes on every 500-1000 miles because the gas cap isn't tight enough) but a
reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

If it make you feel any better a local mechanic (not dealer) charged the
wife $150 just to reset the check engine light - nothing else was done to
her car. My usual mechanic wouldn't have charged her but she saw this
wonderful add on the paper. Anyway, the check engine light came on again but
this time I have the Equus 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader on order form
Amazon.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

"Mark D" wrote in message
[...]

But it is also true that it could have come on for a condition that existed only
temporarily and on some cars the light will not go back off even if the original
reason it came on no longer exists. If there is a "real and persistent" reason
for it to be on then resetting it will be temporary and it will come back on
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Capri wrote:

I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

"Stuck wiring"?

WTF is that?

Did they at least grease it up so it won't stick again?

I think it was more than the wiring which got stuck.

Next time wear a condom.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:26 am, "Toller" wrote:
The light is on for a reason. It might not be an important reason (mine
comes on every 500-1000 miles because the gas cap isn't tight enough) but a
reason.

Yep, mine will do that too. The "check engine" light will come on due
to an emissions problem. As it turns out the gas cap is a little
loose. Tighten the cap and within a day or two the light will go out.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you think it would be free?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phil Yarbrough" wrote in message
news
Did you think it would be free?

I mean really .................

The mechanic has spent years of his life,
scraped knuckles,
burns,
bumps,
money for schools,
money for additional model years,
thousands for tools,
a lot for the computer analyzer,
and a ton of money if he owns his own shop.

Just how much does he think he is "entitled" to?

How greedy can one human being be?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

Buy a $100 code reader, it'll be the best investment you'll ever make for
that truck. Mine has paid for itself many times over, loaning it to
friends, using it for tune-ups. Just remember, every car and truck made
after 1996(?) uses that code reader, and cars made after a certain date
(2008?) will use a different code reader, so the dance with the dealer
continues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Jan 2007 21:56:50 -0800, "Capri" wrote:

I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!

Consider you got a bargain. A full diagnostic can be $150, especially
at a dealership. Check Engine lights should not be ignored.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

Why would the dealer be unhappy? The warranty pays HIM to do the work.

True, but usually at reduced rates. Not just cars, but any warranty work
for many appliances and machines is usually break even.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote

Check Engine lights should not be ignored.

I just bought a Dodge pickup for $38,500. The check engine light came on at
7,500 miles. I checked the manual, and the manual says that the lights
don't always mean that something is very wrong, or that you cannot continue
to drive the car. In my case, it was a reminder to change the original oil,
and the cars are programmed that way. I did learn how to reset the light,
though. And if you reset the lights, and you have a problem other than just
a reminder light, the light will continue to come on, indicting you need to
take it in and get it read.

I'll be getting a reader and saving money. Plus, I have a mechanic that I
trust, so he checks it for free, and fixes just what is wrong.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:31:53 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

Why would the dealer be unhappy? The warranty pays HIM to do the work.

True, but usually at reduced rates. Not just cars, but any warranty work
for many appliances and machines is usually break even.

Really depends on where you are. In some states, there are laws that
warranty
work must be paid at the same rate as "over the counter" repairs. In any
event,
warantee work is a major revenue stream for car dealers even at reduced
rates.
It's not anywhere near "break even". I worked for a company that's
business was
almost exclusively warranty repairs for consumer electronics. They made
lots of
money.

CWM

I worked at a car dealership that could find at least $1,500 worth of
warranty work on the first checkup whether it was there or not.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, we've heard lots of opinions, and of course you know the old
saying about anal passages, and everybody having one, etc.

None the less, and this is fact that no one can deny, or debate.
Dealers nowadays have absolutely no scruples. They screw you to the
tune of whatever price they feel like that day.

Evidently, in the original posters case, there sure couldn't have been
much at all wrong to get out of the dealership with a $69 Bill, which
probably was just a charge for 1 hour's labor.

No parts at all were needed, and as I previously said, what was most
likely done, was the battery was disconnected for 30 seconds, and the
"Service Engine Soon" light went off.

This is typical of GM ECM Computers.

Fact is, if you're running gas in your vehicle that was bought when
Hurricane Katrina hit, don't figure your gas to have any real Octane
left in it, and I'm gathering that this may have been the case with the
OP. ****ty Gas will cause your DashService light to come on.

My ex-wife's 92 Town Car was like this, that anytime you disconnected
the Battery, the Digital Display on the Dash would go awry.

First time the dealer soaked me $140, the second, $72, and at this
visit, the Shop foremen let me in on a little tip, to just pull fuses
#1, and #4 on the fuse block to clear the situation.
It "only" cost me $212 to find out this little trick at the Freakin Ferd
Dealer.

Granted, a "check engine Light" could be much more serious problems, but
for those who lack any sort of mechanical expertise-knowledge, and/or
are perhaps too lazy to pop the hood, and check basics, wel then the
dealer is your only hope. Fact is, even if you owned a brand new
Mercedes, this is no assurance that you're going to be trouble free.
It's a fact of life with owning a motor vehicle. Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

"Al" wrote

Exactly! Computers and diag's aint cheap, think a plumber would diagnose
a problem for less?

I didn't know plumbers would diagnose check engine lights. )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug said:

- Most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto,
O'Reilly, etc) will read the "Check Engine"
- codes for you for FREE.

Unfortunately, you've worded that correctly. They will *read* the
codes for free. AFAIK, they are no longer allowed to reset them. At
least that's what the AutoZone's near me have told me. Maybe it's just
that chain's policy....I haven't had to check a code since I donated
my 97 Dodge. My Dodge would annoyingly report a 6th cylinder misfire
after long (150+ miles) trips, so I would take it in every now and
then to have the light reset. (No other symptoms, just the light)
Sometime last year I was told they couldn't reset the light anymore,
they could only tell people what was the code read.

I recently bought an 04 Honda and got their equivalent of the Check
Engine Light at 24K, but it was just for the scheduled maintenance.
How do I know? The owner's manual tells you how to reset the light via
some buttons on the dashboard. So when the light comes on at the
milage intervals listed in the book, I can reset it. If it doesn't
come back on due a persistant fault, then it was just for the
scheduled maintenance.

Before you ask, I should mention that my idea of when to change the
oil, rotate the rubber, and do the other items on the maintenance
chart is usually sooner than what the book calls for, so I'm doing the
things the light tells me to do, I'm just doing it on my own schedule.
Since the early 60's I've never gotten rid of car with less than 150K,
so I think my schedule has worked pretty good.

charged me 69 dollars for. ****in' computers.........!!!Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the next time:

most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly,
etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course, then you
get to fix the problem, too...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "DerbyDad03" wrote:
Doug said:

- Most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto,
O'Reilly, etc) will read the "Check Engine"
- codes for you for FREE.

Unfortunately, you've worded that correctly. They will *read* the
codes for free. AFAIK, they are no longer allowed to reset them. At
least that's what the AutoZone's near me have told me.

AutoZone loans tools, including code scanners. You can get one of their loaner
scanners, read the codes yourself, reset them if you wish, whatever.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's called "selling warranty" and Ford (the only one I know about) will
kick a dealerships ass if they find out about it. If we had a car in the
shop and found something wrong with it under warranty, we were to ignore it
unless it was a safety issue. Just take care of what they came in for, was
the rule.

Oh, and BTW, the warranty claims are where the dealerships make most of
their money. Customer pay tickets are just a small portion of the shop work
now days.
--
Steve Barker

"Steve B" wrote in message
I worked at a car dealership that could find at least $1,500 worth of
warranty work on the first checkup whether it was there or not.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark D" wrote

It's a fact of life with owning a motor vehicle. Mark

Old dirty sign that's been at my mechanic's shop for twenty seven years that
I know of:

"If it's got tits or wheels, sooner or later, you'll have problems."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I worked at a car dealership that could find at least $1,500 worth of
warranty work on the first checkup whether it was there or not.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

That particular dealership also had a used car side. One day, a buyer drove
his new used car home. Soon after that, he just happened to meet the man
who traded the car in. The two talked, and the buyer bragged about what a
deal he got on a low mileage car. The previous owner advised him how many
miles were actually on it when he traded it. The buyer and the trader went
to the car lot, and had a pow wow with the managers. Shortly after that,
the man picked up a new pickup with no payments.

The dealership was notorious in the town. Mainly on their service
department and used car lot portions. Shortly after I left, the economy in
the area went into the dumper when the oilfield was deregulated in 1980, the
owner died, and the dealership changed hands.

I'm sure there are still a few around, though. I know there has been a lot
of local TV on repair shop and quick oil change franchise ripoffs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 12:56�am, "Capri" wrote:
*I was really ****ed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely
use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non
use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got *red
light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now
accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle
needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, *The light
COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more
serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy
dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to
pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck
wiring, which they unstuck *and for a diagnostic check on the computer
charged me 69 dollars for. * * ****in' computers.........!!!

Well......you know the old saying.....if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em
(for about the price of two trips to the dealer):

http://www.fixdat.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, you could just be happy that it wasn't a big deal and that you're
out $69.

if you wanna say that 'back in the day' engines were simpler so you
could figure anything out yourself, that's true...but they all got
2/3rds (or less) of the gas mileage that we get now per cubic inch of
displacement (ya, that's 2/3rds the efficiency for anyone who's
counting) and they polluted a lot more... don't know how much, but
I'm certain it's true.

If you don't like having to use a computer, then go buy a 60's
volkswagon bug and drive it around, it gets the same mileage as a
modern toyota corolla but pollutes more and has no features, like
motorized windshield wipers, that come standard on the corolla.

Ya, muscle cars are great...but I wouldn't drive one to work
everyday...besides, there have been so many other technological
advances since the days of carburators that I really don't think the
maintenance schedule allows for what we do to our cars now. 6000
miles between recommended oil changes, 100,000 miles for spark plugs
and wires, differentials that last the life of the car without any
grease change.

Sure they were built out of metal back then and were "tougher" cars.
I don't see any of them on the streets in my neck of the
woods...except for the ones restored and hot rodded.

ONLY 6 DOLLARS!!! [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 16th 06 10:04 PM
ONLY 6 DOLLARS!!! DAN Woodworking 0 April 16th 06 09:40 PM
With the price of wood what it is does it make sense to cheap outon tools that'll last a lifetime? David Woodworking 25 November 6th 05 04:35 PM
HOW TO TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS: [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 7th 05 10:35 PM
HOW TO TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS cohibas Home Ownership 1 December 24th 04 01:20 AM