Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet water shutter-offer electrical valve

On Jan 25, 8:15 am, Gerry Atrick wrote:
Is there anything made that will just shut off the water supply to the
toilet after a flush? I got one of these toilets with the flapper and
the flapper seat is on an angle, so I cant replace it with the old
fashioned stopper and rod, which was always a better seal. I have
replaced that flapper at least 5 times in the past year and the last
time I got an expensive one. No matter what, it leaks, so my pump has
to run every 15 minutes and worse yet it caused the overflow pipe to
freeze solid on my sewer 3 times this winter so far. When I can
afford it, a new toilet is going to be installed. I know I can remove
the tank and change the whole asselbly, but this water saver toilet
has always been a poor flusher anyhow and needs plunging after almost
every use even after I have removed it and snaked it. It's just a
lousy toilet no matter what. So, for now I have to shut off the
supply valve after each use, and the tank is always emptied in a few
minutes after. Instead of a new toilet, I plan to find a good used
one that is not a water saver.

Anyhow, I was thinking of some sort of electrically operated valve
that could be switched off as soon I am done flushing. Possibly even
connected to the flush handle so as soon as the handle pops back up,
the valve shuts off.

I dont think anything is made for that exact purpose, but maybe some
sort of solenoid operated valve is available and could be put to use.
Even with a new toilet, they all leak at least a little, so having a
valve like this would save my pump and electric bill. I think they
make electrically operated valves for gas, and possibly for radiators.
Who knows what else I might be able to salvage one from????

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Have a look in your phone book for building disposal yards , recycling
etc.

You might even contact a plumber and see if hes doing any replacements
soon.

Around my area a new basic toilet is about $70 from places like
Menards or Lowes.