Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold weather cause voltage drop?

It seems that when the temp drops below 20 my lights flicker & dim, the
microwave won't run & the TV picture shrinks. This occurs when all the
big load devices are off so I believe it's power company related. Any
thoughts on what would cause this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is not something one would normally expect to find and you should
contact your utility provider directly. Even if there were a large
number of electrically heated homes in your immediate area, any drop
in service voltage would not be that obvious, nor disruptive.

Have you talked to your next-door neighbours and, if so, do they also
experience this problem? Roughly how many homes are served by your
distribution transformer?

Cheers,
Paul

On 25 Jan 2007 20:01:58 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

It seems that when the temp drops below 20 my lights flicker & dim, the
microwave won't run & the TV picture shrinks. This occurs when all the
big load devices are off so I believe it's power company related. Any
thoughts on what would cause this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:01 pm, "Mike" wrote:
It seems that when the temp drops below 20 my lights flicker & dim, the
microwave won't run & the TV picture shrinks. This occurs when all the
big load devices are off so I believe it's power company related. Any
thoughts on what would cause this?

Thats a bad sign , you should not use appliences with that situation .

If you have a voltmeter you may be able to get a voltage reading .

Contact the power company as soon as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, we have propane heat.

On Jan 26, 12:00 am, "Jeff" wrote:
Do you have a heat pump? At low temperatures they have a large resistance
heater that comes on."Mike" wrote in oglegroups.com...

It seems that when the temp drops below 20 my lights flicker & dim, the
microwave won't run & the TV picture shrinks. This occurs when all the
big load devices are off so I believe it's power company related. Any
thoughts on what would cause this?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Mike" wrote:
It seems that when the temp drops below 20 my lights flicker & dim, the
microwave won't run & the TV picture shrinks. This occurs when all the
big load devices are off so I believe it's power company related. Any
thoughts on what would cause this?

It's almost certainly load related but apparently (and hopefully)
not your load that is causing the sag.

Call your utility company. Some are better than others but there's
a good chance they will diagnose and fix the problem in fairly
short order without charging you a cent.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Will my voltage drop? RayV Home Repair 15 September 6th 06 03:04 PM
Concrete in cold weather bhads UK diy 1 November 29th 05 07:54 PM
Low voltage lights - voltage drop/cable size [email protected] UK diy 2 October 31st 05 09:54 AM
I need a reminder, what causes voltage drop.. alitonto Electronics Repair 9 February 17th 05 01:06 AM
Voltage Drop Under Load [email protected] Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 10:08 PM