Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace Ducting w New HVAC ?

What guidelines are there for ducting replacement along with a new
residential HVAC system? This is a small (1300 sq ft) home in Southern
California that's about 30 years old. It has the original HVAC system and
all the attic ducting is original as well. The ducting appears to be made
of the same flexible, corrogated aluminum that the dryer uses, but larger
and wrapped in about 2 inches of fiberglass insulation. There are no
obvious leaks or gaps, but the AC system does not seem very efficient (duh,
30 years old), so I might be losing some of my heating.cooling that way.

The installer strongly suggests replacement, and common sense says this
probably a good idea, but this would add a considerable amount to the total
system cost. I definitely don't want to do it myself.

What are the appropriate materals, etc. for a modern residential attic duct
system, and can anyone make a guess at a reasonable cost for reducting the
house? (All of it is in the attic, and there is good access to everything
up there. There are eight vents in the house, and the heater assembly is in
the middle area of the house. Pretty typical stuff, I would guess.)

Gratitude in advance for any advice.

- Magnusfarce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Magnusfarce wrote:

[...]

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

Call a number of HVAC contractors for estimates.
- udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

HVAC questions welcomed at alt.hvac Larry F Home Repair 20 December 30th 05 04:40 AM
HVAC questions welcomed at alt.hvac m Ransley Home Repair 0 December 28th 05 03:35 PM
please post your HVAC questions to alt.hvac hawaiian Home Repair 4 December 9th 05 06:20 AM
Ducting JoeJoe UK diy 4 October 24th 05 09:23 PM
repair or replace goodman hvac system?? Carol Scheible Home Repair 9 August 12th 04 03:44 PM