Posted to alt.home.repair
Zu Zu is offline

Default Thermostat anticipator

I have a honeywell T8400C1024 digital manual thermostat and a
mid-efficiency forced air furnace. They installation manual for the
thermostat says the anticipator setting should be 6 which corresponds to
6 cycles per hour and .6 amp current for the 24 ts circuit. I admit
this keeps the hour at a very comfortable consistent temperature. When
the temp outside is -30 I have no problems with how it's functioning.
Now when it's about freezing outside the furnace still runs 6 times per
hour, but it only runs for a minute at a time. This seems like it must
be rather inefficient. Any comments on energy efficiency? I've thought
about turning the anticipator to 3, but I'm worried about damaging it.
Also when it is very cold out it would definitely be less comfortable in
the house. Thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zu" wrote in message

Now when it's about freezing outside the furnace still runs 6 times per
hour, but it only runs for a minute at a time. This seems like it must
be rather inefficient. Any comments on energy efficiency? I've thought
about turning the anticipator to 3, but I'm worried about damaging it.

Your fears seem unlikely.
1. For information about fuel efficiency, you can
probably consult the national testing laboratory for
the country where you live, if you think the manufacturer
will ignore your inquiry or provide falsified information.
2. Do you think it likely that Honeywell would market
a gadget with a particular setting that if used would
damage the gadget?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zu Zu is offline

Don Phillipson wrote:
Zu" wrote in message

Now when it's about freezing outside the furnace still runs 6 times per
hour, but it only runs for a minute at a time. This seems like it must
be rather inefficient. Any comments on energy efficiency? I've thought
about turning the anticipator to 3, but I'm worried about damaging it.

Your fears seem unlikely.
1. For information about fuel efficiency, you can
probably consult the national testing laboratory for
the country where you live, if you think the manufacturer
will ignore your inquiry or provide falsified information.
2. Do you think it likely that Honeywell would market
a gadget with a particular setting that if used would
damage the gadget?

In a word, yes.

From the honeywell website:
"I tried to install my thermostat and it started smoking. What do I do?
If the thermostat has a heat anticipator, the smoke is caused by the
heat anticipator burning out. This may occur if the heat anticipator is
not set correctly prior to installation. Before installation, the heat
anticipator setting must be set to the current draw of the heating
circuit. Instructions are provided with the thermostat. If the heating
anticipator is damaged then the you must replace the thermostat at your
own expense. Damage related to incorrect installation is not covered
under warranty."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zu wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
Zu" wrote in message

Now when it's about freezing outside the furnace still runs 6 times
per hour, but it only runs for a minute at a time. This seems like
it must be rather inefficient. Any comments on energy efficiency? I've
thought about turning the anticipator to 3, but I'm worried
about damaging it.

Your fears seem unlikely.
1. For information about fuel efficiency, you can
probably consult the national testing laboratory for
the country where you live, if you think the manufacturer
will ignore your inquiry or provide falsified information.
2. Do you think it likely that Honeywell would market
a gadget with a particular setting that if used would
damage the gadget?

In a word, yes.

From the honeywell website:
"I tried to install my thermostat and it started smoking. What do I
do? If the thermostat has a heat anticipator, the smoke is caused by
the heat anticipator burning out. This may occur if the heat
anticipator is not set correctly prior to installation. Before
installation, the heat anticipator setting must be set to the current
draw of the heating circuit. Instructions are provided with the
thermostat. If the heating anticipator is damaged then the you must
replace the thermostat at your own expense. Damage related to
incorrect installation is not covered under warranty."

That seems very reasonable by Honeywell. I know for a fact that the
information is in the installation manual. If someone tries to install it
without reading the instructions, what do you expect?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
Heat anticipator setting... Noozer Home Repair 10 January 16th 06 01:08 AM
thermostat anticipator ///Owen\\\\\\ Home Repair 15 December 5th 05 12:04 AM
Which Thermostat is Best Opinion Seeker Home Repair 0 October 23rd 05 02:37 PM
T87F heat anticipator issue Scott Home Repair 8 November 28th 04 09:54 PM