Old December 2nd 05, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair
///Owen\\\\\\

Default thermostat anticipator

I got a new thermostat - a cheap Honeywell (a builder installed it). I find
the house gets too cold before the furnaces switches "on". And, the furnace
switches "off" before the house reaches the set temperature. I think I need
to adjust the anticipator. Could anyone help me?

Thanks

Old December 2nd 05, 06:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

What model #?. Is it digital? Some of the newer digital T-stats do not
have heat anticipator settings.

Old December 2nd 05, 06:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

///Owen\\\ wrote:
> I got a new thermostat - a cheap Honeywell (a builder installed it). I find
> the house gets too cold before the furnaces switches "on". And, the furnace
> switches "off" before the house reaches the set temperature. I think I need
> to adjust the anticipator. Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks

the anticipator creates a small amount of heat in the thermostat when
the furnace is on..

but it cannont help for your first problem,,, that sounds like the
temperature setpoint needs to be adjusted...

the anticpaitor can adjeust the amount of difference in degrees between
heat on and heat off...

but per your description, the difference is ok, its just that both are
too cold...

so first try to adjust the temperature calibration, after the turn on
is working correctly then we can talk about the anticipator to adjust
the turn off.

Mark

Old December 2nd 05, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Is it the ultra-basic little round one?

Their thermometers are often way off. For a given setpoint, the temp at
which the mercury switch actually makes is highly dependent on how you
mount the stat on the wall- turn it a few degrees and all bets are off.

I'd suggest monitoring the actual temp with an accurate thermometer-
couple bucks for various types at most plumbing/hvac suppliers. Maybe
Radio Shack? Then see if the stat's behavior is consistent, and vary
its set point to match what you want, as accurately measured.

Is your stat locked or something, that you might not be able to change
setting? Extra sweater is much less wasteful than burning oil,
besides. :')

Old December 2nd 05, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

The advantage to the round ones, you can 'calibrate' it by rotating the
whole darn thing slightly to move the _actual_ setpoint up or down
relative to the _indicated_ setpoint.

Well, you can do that with any merc-switch thermostat, but the
rectangular ones look a little silly cocked sideways...

Dave

Old December 2nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

in older simpler days, heat anticipator setting asking you to set it at
the gas valve amperage.
see honeywell's thermostat wizard at:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/yourho...rd/Wizard.aspx

Old December 3rd 05, 02:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

///Owen\\\ wrote:
> I got a new thermostat - a cheap Honeywell (a builder installed it). I find
> the house gets too cold before the furnaces switches "on". And, the furnace
> switches "off" before the house reaches the set temperature. I think I need
> to adjust the anticipator. Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks

No you don't, it sounds like it works fine just
the index is wrong, i.e, 68 degrees on the setting
is actually 65 degrees or so.

However, if you really want a better thermostat
get the $39 Honeywell digital (Lowes has them on
sale but shows the wrong picture, it is really a
rectangle). I've had mine for over 6 years and it
would keep the temp at the thermostat within one
degree on an electric furnace and now on a gas
furnace.
Old December 3rd 05, 09:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"///Owen\\\" > wrote in message
news[email protected]..
>I got a new thermostat - a cheap Honeywell (a builder installed it). I
>find the house gets too cold before the furnaces switches "on". And, the
>furnace switches "off" before the house reaches the set temperature. I
>think I need to adjust the anticipator. Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks

Builders dont install em..they just want cheap..so the installers put em
in...
If its a T87 Round One..its the best thermostat Honeywells
built..period...if its out of calibration, teh little tool they have makes
it a simple thing to adjust..

Your problems NOT in the anticipation setting.
Bet that suckers a mercury switch round unit, and its not
level....yes..there are level indicators on it...take the outher ring off,
take the stat off..three screws recessed in it..and at the top of the sub
base there are two tits that are for placing a level across...right below
the fan and mode switches.

Old December 3rd 05, 04:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

Hi CB. A few years back I ran into something wierd on three T87's.
Somethng happened to the mercury in the bulb-- instead of being a shiny
silver, it was a grey that looked more llike molten lead, and flowed
like lead. Normally, as soon as the bulb moves just past level the
mercury rolls freely to the lower side. In these cases, the mercury
wouldn't move either way until the bulb was at damn near a 45 deg angle.
For the amount of temperature control that gave, they were more of a
toggle switch than a thermostat. The first one I saw was on a wall
heater. I had installed the stat the fall before, so it was replaced
under warranty. The other 2 were on central a/c-- age unknown, probably
5- 10 y/o. Both of those calls were in a/c season as I recall. Funny,
never seen anything like that on any other mercury bulb stat, and never
seen another one since the last of those three, about 7 years ago more
or less. Larry

Old December 3rd 05, 05:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

lp13-30 wrote:

>Hi CB. A few years back I ran into something wierd on three T87's.
>Somethng happened to the mercury in the bulb-- instead of being a shiny
>silver, it was a grey that looked more llike molten lead, and flowed
>like lead. Normally, as soon as the bulb moves just past level the
>mercury rolls freely to the lower side. In these cases, the mercury
>wouldn't move either way until the bulb was at damn near a 45 deg angle.
>For the amount of temperature control that gave, they were more of a
>toggle switch than a thermostat. The first one I saw was on a wall
>heater. I had installed the stat the fall before, so it was replaced
>under warranty. The other 2 were on central a/c-- age unknown, probably
>5- 10 y/o. Both of those calls were in a/c season as I recall. Funny,
>never seen anything like that on any other mercury bulb stat, and never
>seen another one since the last of those three, about 7 years ago more
>or less. Larry

If you want increased efficiency with gas and oil furnace heating you
are better off without close tolerance heat anticipator
settings, as keeping the temp variation close causes more cycles with
increased energy losses while the heat exchanger(s) are heating up.

Longer, but fewer, run-times will increase efficiency. If your family
dresses a little warmer they won't notice the temp variation.
I keep the temp low and the run cycles are very long with a lot fewer
cycles. (Experiment a little.)
- udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html