Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Draining Water Heater Woes

Hi all,
Typically I've seen this a number of times, had this happen again the
other day, and it's the old woes every time it seems I'll drain a water
heater!

After you drain off X amount of gallons, then try closing the Drain
Faucet, they never seal again, and continue to leak leak leak!?

Typically too, they always seem to have these Plastic Drain Faucets, in
which you have to fear applying any type of torque, and if you do, the
the Handle usually strips out too!

My question is, can these faucets be replaced? Are they easily gotten
from the Big Box Stores-hardware Stores?

Can I expect more woes by trying to replace these Faucets? Can these
usually be disassembled, and just the Rubber Gasket replaced? Or? Any
tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi all,
Typically I've seen this a number of times, had this happen again the
other day, and it's the old woes every time it seems I'll drain a water
heater!

After you drain off X amount of gallons, then try closing the Drain
Faucet, they never seal again, and continue to leak leak leak!?

You can buy a cap with hose threads and just cap the output.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi all,
Typically I've seen this a number of times, had this happen again the
other day, and it's the old woes every time it seems I'll drain a water
heater!

After you drain off X amount of gallons, then try closing the Drain
Faucet, they never seal again, and continue to leak leak leak!?

Typically too, they always seem to have these Plastic Drain Faucets, in
which you have to fear applying any type of torque, and if you do, the
the Handle usually strips out too!

My question is, can these faucets be replaced? Are they easily gotten
from the Big Box Stores-hardware Stores?

Can I expect more woes by trying to replace these Faucets? Can these
usually be disassembled, and just the Rubber Gasket replaced? Or? Any
tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mark

Remove the valve and replace it with a ball valve. Some people
say they do this when they install new heaters.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Mark D wrote:
Hi all,
Typically I've seen this a number of times, had this happen again the
other day, and it's the old woes every time it seems I'll drain a water
heater!

After you drain off X amount of gallons, then try closing the Drain
Faucet, they never seal again, and continue to leak leak leak!?

Typically too, they always seem to have these Plastic Drain Faucets, in
which you have to fear applying any type of torque, and if you do, the
the Handle usually strips out too!

My question is, can these faucets be replaced? Are they easily gotten
from the Big Box Stores-hardware Stores?

Can I expect more woes by trying to replace these Faucets? Can these
usually be disassembled, and just the Rubber Gasket replaced? Or? Any
tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mark

There are many good suggestions already, but I had exactly the same
problem on my hot water heater. What I finally did was to remove the
stem (the part that turns off the water flow) and reverse the washer on
the end. There is generally a screw holding the washer to the stem.
The valves are cheap and fragile so be careful, but it beats replacing
the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

plastic valves are meant to be opened ONCE, to drain tank at end of
life.....

when buying next water heater shop for tank with brass valve.

or install ball valve when tank is brand new

disturbing by removing valve in old tank MAY junk tank if it decides to
leak at valve location...... this occured to a buddy of mine

always drain tank first thing in morning so you have all day to fix
whatever goes wrong!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove the valve and replace it with a ball valve. Some people
say they do this when they install new heaters.

This is a highly recommended practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
plastic valves are meant to be opened ONCE, to drain tank at end of
life.....

Where did you get that?

I've been draining my tank every year and never had a plastic valve leak
after I closed it.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveF wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
plastic valves are meant to be opened ONCE, to drain tank at end of
life.....

Where did you get that?

I've been draining my tank every year and never had a plastic valve leak
after I closed it.

Steve.

might depend on how hard the water is, it stops the valve from opening
and closing around here plastic ones often break when disturbed. the
handles twist off

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

SteveF wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
plastic valves are meant to be opened ONCE, to drain tank at end of
life.....

Where did you get that?

I've been draining my tank every year and never had a plastic valve leak
after I closed it.

Steve.

might depend on how hard the water is, it stops the valve from opening
and closing around here plastic ones often break when disturbed. the
handles twist off

Certainly that's true. I make it a practice to go around once a year, fully
opening and closing all the water valves a couple times(like the ones behind
the washing machine) to keep the build up from freezing the valve. And also
why I have to periodically drain my water tank. I'm very careful when
closing the valve to close it most of the way, turn the water back on and
finish closing it just tight enough so it stops leaking.

Steve.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi all,
Typically I've seen this a number of times, had this happen again the
other day, and it's the old woes every time it seems I'll drain a water
heater!

After you drain off X amount of gallons, then try closing the Drain
Faucet, they never seal again, and continue to leak leak leak!?

You can buy a cap with hose threads and just cap the output.

Yep!

An alternative suggested by the real estate agent who sold us an repro
"as-is" property is to get one of those valves that are intended to screw
onto the end of a standard garden hose. Then the "next" time you want to
drain the heater, you just rotate the lever 90 degrees. We put one on
about 9 years ago.

Another "problem child" with water heaters is the PT release "safety" valve.
They are supposed to be "tested." The problem is that after the "test"
most of them will leak a gallon or so until they settle down. The only
"cure" for that is a bucket!

Al

Any trick to draining water heater? C & E Home Repair 11 August 19th 06 04:40 AM
Water heater woes Mortrek Home Repair 4 July 23rd 06 07:48 PM
Draining Water heater A. Pismo Clam Home Repair 9 June 6th 06 03:26 PM
Water Heater: Slow Heating Of Water Problem. Draining/Flushing Help ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 02:28 AM
Water Heater Woes [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 22nd 05 12:17 AM