Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulation installation question

I plan to add insulation to my attic. Right now I have R11 fiberglass bats
between the 2x4 floor joists. On top of the joists are 2x8 sheets of
plywood (not secured to the floor) so we can store things in the attic and
to make sure we don't step through the ceiling underneath. Should I remove
the plywood before I put down the addition bats of insulation, i.e. so the
old fiberglass is touching the new? Or can I just put the new insulation on
top off the plywood?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

kind of defeats the purpose of the plywood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zack wrote:
I plan to add insulation to my attic. Right now I have R11
fiberglass bats between the 2x4 floor joists. On top of the joists
are 2x8 sheets of plywood (not secured to the floor) so we can store
things in the attic and to make sure we don't step through the
ceiling underneath. Should I remove the plywood before I put down
the addition bats of insulation, i.e. so the old fiberglass is
touching the new? Or can I just put the new insulation on top off
the plywood?
Thanks,

Yes you can put it on top of the plywood. It might even work better
that way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zack" wrote in message
. net...
I plan to add insulation to my attic. Right now I have R11 fiberglass bats
between the 2x4 floor joists. On top of the joists are 2x8 sheets of
plywood (not secured to the floor) so we can store things in the attic and
to make sure we don't step through the ceiling underneath. Should I remove
the plywood before I put down the addition bats of insulation, i.e. so the
old fiberglass is touching the new? Or can I just put the new insulation
on top off the plywood?

Thanks,

I'd place the batts right on top of the ply. There would be less
compression of the pre-existing batts which would maintain the R value in
it. You could leave a small alley for storage tubs, losing that bit of
improvement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:11:24 GMT, "Zack"
wrote:

I plan to add insulation to my attic. Right now I have R11 fiberglass bats
between the 2x4 floor joists. On top of the joists are 2x8 sheets of
plywood (not secured to the floor) so we can store things in the attic and
to make sure we don't step through the ceiling underneath. Should I remove
the plywood before I put down the addition bats of insulation, i.e. so the
old fiberglass is touching the new? Or can I just put the new insulation on
top off the plywood?

Thanks,

Not an insulation expert, but I would be concerned with theply wood
interfering with the migration of moisture. Guessing that the
plywood is of no use anymore, so you might thing about removing it, or
using is for a limited area of storeage.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zack" wrote in message
. net...
I plan to add insulation to my attic. Right now I have R11 fiberglass bats
between the 2x4 floor joists. On top of the joists are 2x8 sheets of
plywood (not secured to the floor) so we can store things in the attic and
to make sure we don't step through the ceiling underneath. Should I remove
the plywood before I put down the addition bats of insulation, i.e. so the
old fiberglass is touching the new? Or can I just put the new insulation
on top off the plywood?

Thanks,

Thank you all for your answers. I will put the new bats on top of the
plywood.

Thanks,