Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laying slate tile over lino paper?

I removed the old linoleum, but the paper and the glue under the paper is
still there.
Can I use a polymodified thinset over this to lay the slate. Ita on a cement
slab.

Thanks for your advice

Posted to alt.home.repair

85Capri wrote:
I removed the old linoleum, but the paper and the glue under the paper is
still there.
Can I use a polymodified thinset over this to lay the slate. Ita on a cement
slab.

Thanks for your advice

If you've used a razor type scraper and can no longer remove
the paper backing, and you're sure the glue is tightly
holding the paper backing to the floor, the polymer modified
thinset will work.

In an ideal world, a professional like myself uses an air
powered sharp scraper blade to remove everything down
to the cement, but if you're a homeowner and you've
done about all you can removing that vinyl, what you want
to do is a reasonable compromise. You always take a
risk not removing that backing, but it's up to you to make
a judgement that the backing is not loose, but is still
tightly bonded to the floor.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...

| | In an ideal world, a professional like myself uses an air
| powered sharp scraper blade to remove everything down
| to the cement, |
| thetiler

wow
whats the matter
mommy didn't give you enough praise as a child
you always seem to toot your own horn.

most professionals don't do this.
we get satisfaction through our satisfied customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unfortunately any idiot can post here...

the sagacious dolt wrote:
"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...

| | In an ideal world, a professional like myself uses an air
| powered sharp scraper blade to remove everything down
| to the cement, |
| thetiler

wow
whats the matter
mommy didn't give you enough praise as a child
you always seem to toot your own horn.

most professionals don't do this.
we get satisfaction through our satisfied customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sagacious Dolt [Kitchens Etc.] explained

the sagacious dolt wrote:
"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...

| | In an ideal world, a professional like myself uses an air
| powered sharp scraper blade to remove everything down
| to the cement, |
| thetiler

wow
whats the matter
mommy didn't give you enough praise as a child
you always seem to toot your own horn.

most professionals don't do this.
we get satisfaction through our satisfied customers

You couldn't be a professional. First if you were, you'd
appreciate how I try to help people here. Somehow my
helpfulness aggrevates you, so you must be jealous of
me for some reason, or just a jerk in general.
Secondly a professional wouldn't sabotage the posts
of a helpful person like me...they would recognize
my helpfulness and have the best interest of all the
questioners in mind. Somehow you only think of
yourself, post stupid stuff anonymously without any
regard to how much your mis-information leads
questioners away from good information they're getting.

Bottom line, I think you are a wannabe home depot
installer or something, wishing you could be a real
professional like others here (including myself),
somehow obsessed with posting stupid childish
little jabs. The way you mis-quote people you
are insulting shows you have no integrity, which
I'm sure reflects on your work ethic.
Go away or start being helpful to the posters.

Have a nice day!

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

"thetiler" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Unfortunately any idiot can post here...

still you do
you type alot but don't say much
why waste time and bandwidth

| the sagacious dolt wrote:
| "thetiler" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| |
| | | In an ideal world, a professional like myself uses an air
| | powered sharp scraper blade to remove everything down
| | to the cement, |
| | thetiler
|
| wow
| whats the matter
| mommy didn't give you enough praise as a child
| you always seem to toot your own horn.
|
| most professionals don't do this.
| we get satisfaction through our satisfied customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's important is that the remaining "backing" is not
loose. Sometimes it can appear bonded but the adhesive
will have let go. If unsure you can poke at it here and there
with a sharp screwdriver to locate loose pockets of
unbonded adhesive.

thetiler

85Capri wrote:
Thanks, I took up alot of it. Every tile will be on 65% of the slab.

Thanks again

"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...

85Capri wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

the sagacious dolt wrote:
you type alot but don't say much

You type little and say nothing worthwhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

what's an air powered scraping blade?
I'm afraid to ask at my supply house.