Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very Odd Need for Machine-Tooled Metal Washers

I have to find large circular metal washers of some very light-weight,
fireproof material. The problem is this: there is a mouse infestation
in an elderly relative's home. I (and an assortment of handymen,
contractors, etc.) have tried for years to find the source of entry for
these rodents, and I've gone through extraordinary measures to make
sure the slightest possible entry place is either caulked, boarded up,
duct-taped, etc.

But at some time in the past, this elderly relative had a wall oven
removed and hired a carpenter to install a floor-to-soffit "pantry"
cabinet in place of the oven and cabinets that used to occupy that
columnar space. It's my belief, as well as the opinion of *all* the
contractors, etc., that whoever installed this pantry cabinet failed to
seal the hole in the drywall where the wiring supplied the former wall
oven, and that the mice come up from the cellar through this hole.

The elderly relative has a traditional "stove" next to the pantry
cabinet and recently blew a wad on what she thought was a
state-of-the-art range hood. This hood has two halogen bulbs. Because
of the intense noise in the house whenever no one is in the kitchen,
and the mouse dung in and around the stove, I believe the mice are
actually making their way from the hole in the gypsum board into the
range hood, and then (I'm not joking) jumping down from the gap between
the bulb socket and the bulb.

I therefore need metal washers of specific dimensions to complete the
job of mice-proofing the place. I would unscrew the halogen bulbs, fit
these mythical washers into the space where the jumping mice now do
their acrobatics, and then screw the bulbs back in.

Well, if you're not thinking by now this is one for the alt.home.repair
joke files, I'd like to know how I can go about getting such specialty
metal washers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Can't picture the approx size but if you can find something close buy it
and take it to the nearest small machine shop in your area with a sketch
and ask how much to trim it to size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cut sheet metal to size and drill hole, use sheet metal for ductwork.

your statement explains a lot
]
The problem is this: there is a mouse infestation
in an elderly relative's home. I (and an assortment of handymen,
contractors, etc.) have tried for years to find the source of entry for

these rodents, and I've gone through extraordinary measures to make
sure the slightest possible entry place is either caulked, boarded up,
duct-taped, etc.

you really cant depend on caulk or ducttape. metal shavings pushed down
holes cemented in place.

you must keep them out of the entire house

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, if you're not thinking by now this is one for the alt.home.repair
joke files, I'd like to know how I can go about getting such specialty
metal washers.

Aluminum duct tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to everyone for responses. The sheet metal idea sounds good.
Also, I didn't know machine shops would do small jobs, so thanks (F.H.)
for letting me know. Not to drift this thread, but are there only
specific metals machine shops will deal with, or is it sort of like
Metal 'S' Us?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Blocking the air space around the bulbs could cause the sockets to
overheat- they are likely not porcelein, but plastic.
Could just fail, could be a fire/shock hazard.

You don't want them anywhere in the house, anyway.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aluminum duct tape.

mice will go right thru it

Posted to alt.home.repair

..

Blocking the air space around the bulbs could cause the sockets to
overheat- they are likely not porcelein, but plastic.
Could just fail, could be a fire/shock hazard.

That's what I was thinking too. Adding blockage to a UL approved
fixture doesn't sound like a good idea.

You don't want them anywhere in the house, anyway.

Dave

Agree here too. If they can easily get into the basement, then it's
likely they will find another way into the kitchen, even if the lights
are blocked. If the integrity of the area behind the cabinet is
thought to be suspect, I'd consider removing the cabinet so you can see
what's going on back there and fix it.

Also traps or poison in the basement are important in the line of
defense. It's been my experience that mice will at some point get
into just about any house, as it's very difficult to find and seal all
the possible entry points.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also traps or poison in the basement are important in the line of
defense. It's been my experience that mice will at some point get
into just about any house, as it's very difficult to find and seal all
the possible entry points.

We have a small farm, and when we took ownership, we were infested,
particularly in the winter as the field mice and rats would seek
shelter. We started a poison program and frankly haven't seen one in
quite a while.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Jan 2007 15:14:43 -0800, wrote:

[...]

You cut them out of a coke can with a pair of sissors and a heavy
exacto knife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

Aluminum duct tape.

mice will go right thru it

All right then, aluminum flashing with aluminum duct tape.