Posted to alt.home.repair
Bho

Default Washing Machine making odd noise...

Frigidaire front loader, less than 2yrs old. Sorry, don't have model #
handy....

It sounds like a bead chain (picture what you wear dogtags with) being
dragged across the stainless steel drum....except that you can't find
it anywhere and neither my wife nor I wear jewelry other than rings. To
me it sounds like it's caught between the stainless drum and the
plastic drum - but I've used a flashlight to look through the small
holes in the stainless drum and I couldn't find anything - anyone ever
had this problem?

If the drum spins out, it gets a little louder, and you can hear it if
you spin the drum by hand when the machine is off....it doesn't sound
like a bearing at all. The drain is clear. It does not appear to have
hamper the machine's function at all - we continue to do loads of
laundry, but the noise is irritating. Repair shop said if I bring it
in they would separate the 2 drums and dig it out and replace the seal
for about $200.....

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Bho" wrote in message
oups.com...
Frigidaire front loader, less than 2yrs old. Sorry, don't have model #
handy....

It sounds like a bead chain (picture what you wear dogtags with)

What in THE hell did you have your dog in there to begin with???!!!

Probably all stopped up with hair and fur and stuff!

Ding dang thang gonna cough up a fur ball.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

Almost for certain its the bearing. I had the exact same
characteristic sounds at the 2.5 year mark. The bearings are located
at the rear of the drum and it protected from the water by a lip seal.
The seal fails, the forward (of the two) bearings gets wet and starts
to squeal. Gets worse and worse with time. I did the fix in about 3
hours. Bought some bearings and seals from a local bearing shop and
also bought the "o" ring from the local appliance parts dealer that
seals the two halves of the plastic drum. The bearings have an ID
number on them that any good bearing shop can look up. Quite a bit
of disassembly involved. Very well documented on
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/ look under "washers".
Same washer is sold by Sears under the "Kenmore" name, same exact
bearing problems. Steve