Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I call a repairman? (Freezer)

I recently purchased a frost free Kenmore upright freezer. It replacea
a GE manual defrost freezer. The new one makes all sorts of strange
noises. Gurgling sounds, a sound that sounds like air coming from a
nozzle. And some other sounds. The majority of the sounds come when it
just quits running.
Believe it or not, I asked the salesman if this is normal. He said he
didn't know, he hadn't been around one that was running.
It's under warranty, should I schedule a service call??

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tomkanpa" writes:

I recently purchased a frost free Kenmore upright freezer. It replacea
a GE manual defrost freezer. The new one makes all sorts of strange
noises. Gurgling sounds, a sound that sounds like air coming from a
nozzle. And some other sounds. The majority of the sounds come when it
just quits running.
Believe it or not, I asked the salesman if this is normal. He said he
didn't know, he hadn't been around one that was running.
It's under warranty, should I schedule a service call??

Sure, why not. Won't cost ya anything, but you'll either get it fixed
or have peace of mind that a tech says it's normal.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a frost free Kenmore upright freezer. It replacea
a GE manual defrost freezer. The new one makes all sorts of strange
noises. Gurgling sounds, a sound that sounds like air coming from a
nozzle. And some other sounds. The majority of the sounds come when it
just quits running.
Believe it or not, I asked the salesman if this is normal. He said he
didn't know, he hadn't been around one that was running.
It's under warranty, should I schedule a service call??

Believe it or not? Why would the stores leave all their units plugged in,
just to hear what they sound like? What a waste of electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry about the triple posting! I clicked send, waited longer than
usual, figured nothing would happen and clicked again. Same result,
clicked the third time and walked away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tomkanpa wrote:
I recently purchased a frost free Kenmore upright freezer. It replacea
a GE manual defrost freezer. The new one makes all sorts of strange
noises. Gurgling sounds, a sound that sounds like air coming from a
nozzle. And some other sounds. The majority of the sounds come when it
just quits running.
Believe it or not, I asked the salesman if this is normal. He said he
didn't know, he hadn't been around one that was running.
It's under warranty, should I schedule a service call??

Me, if it was doing it's job of keeping the food cold, I'd ingnore it.
My wife, would make the call
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy Hill wrote:
I'd first RTFM -- it should describe roughly what "normal" noises
are. If you're still unsure, then by all means get a tech out to look at 'er.

The FM doesn't mention F Noises

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tomkanpa" wrote:
I recently purchased a frost free Kenmore upright freezer. It replacea
a GE manual defrost freezer. The new one makes all sorts of strange
noises. Gurgling sounds, a sound that sounds like air coming from a
nozzle. And some other sounds. The majority of the sounds come when it
just quits running.
Believe it or not, I asked the salesman if this is normal. He said he
didn't know, he hadn't been around one that was running.
It's under warranty, should I schedule a service call??

Frost free units tend to be noisier than manual defrost units (both from the
temperature differentials and the water hissing when it hits the defrost
heaters). I'd first RTFM -- it should describe roughly what "normal" noises
are. If you're still unsure, then by all means get a tech out to look at 'er.
Posted to alt.home.repair

tomkanpa wrote:
Andy Hill wrote:
I'd first RTFM -- it should describe roughly what "normal" noises
are. If you're still unsure, then by all means get a tech out to look at 'er.

The FM doesn't mention F Noises

I would call for service and explain your problem . If its normal they
may just call you back rather than come out.

Some manuals do mention the extra noise of the defrost cycle.