Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical - 3-way, Power on Traveler

Have a 3w switch and am trying to locate it's use. Did a quick check of
some lights, outlets/split outlets. Lots more trial & error to cover.

Is this any indication of what configuration I am looking for?

- White on common (dark terminal and verified it's common with wires off
and a meter).
- Black (hot) on traveler - same physical side as common.
- Red on traveler (opposite side of common and other traveler).

Removing the wires from the switch and all open, black is hot, white & red
cold.

Thanks,
Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:19:40 -0600, Al Bundy
wrote:

Have a 3w switch and am trying to locate it's use. Did a quick check of
some lights, outlets/split outlets. Lots more trial & error to cover.

Is this any indication of what configuration I am looking for?

- White on common (dark terminal and verified it's common with wires off
and a meter).
- Black (hot) on traveler - same physical side as common.
- Red on traveler (opposite side of common and other traveler).

Removing the wires from the switch and all open, black is hot, white & red
cold.

Thanks,
Al

If I understand your question you have a 3 way and you don't know what
it is for.

Leave it disconnected and find what is not working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote in
:

wrote:

Have a 3w switch and am trying to locate it's use. Did a quick check
of some lights, outlets/split outlets. Lots more trial & error to
cover.

Is this any indication of what configuration I am looking for?

- White on common (dark terminal and verified it's common with wires
off and a meter).
- Black (hot) on traveler - same physical side as common.
- Red on traveler (opposite side of common and other traveler).

Removing the wires from the switch and all open, black is hot, white &
red cold.

Thanks,
Al

If I understand your question you have a 3 way and you don't know what
it is for.

Leave it disconnected and find what is not working.

That's where I'm at with it now Terry. Thanks for responding.