Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well pump slow down

Lately my well pump has been taking a long time to get to shut off
pressure.
When I am using 8 -10 gpm running my geothermal heat pump, the normal
duty cycle of the pump was about 66% i.e. it ran for 4 minutes to get to
shut off(60psi), then for 2 minutes to get to turn on pressure (40psi).
This has been the case for the last 10 years.
Now the off time is still 2 minutes but the pump runs (at 8-10gpm) for
upwards of 45 -60 minutes before it reaches shut off pressure. Also,
before I could run 18-20gpm steady and pump would hold 55 - 60 psi. Now
the best it will do is 12gpm steady but pressure will not get above
27psi.
Pump is a 1hp submersible Gould 10GS 3 wire with a controller and
80gallon pressure tank. Pump amp drain is normal at 10.2amps. Well is
200ft deep and a water level at 40 ft. and was rated at 40gpm when
drilled 10years ago. Pump is at180ft. Terrain is granite and I have
never had any problem with water supply; lake is 100ft away and 50 ft
below well head. Pressure in system holds at 60psi when not used or
pumping. Water is moderately hard with moderate level of iron bacteria.
No sediment.

People, could you give me your ideas on what might be going wrong here?

Pump was replaced after first 5 years due to motor winding failure. Now
its another 5 years and trouble again. Same model of pump. Is it the
type or brand of pump? (assuming I have a malfunctioning pump)

At this time of year, it is not unusual for the heat pump to be running
24/7 for days on end. In a normal winter, the heat pump may be on 50% of
the time for 3 -4 months.
So a lot of pumping but I understood this pump should be up to it. But
maybe I'm misinformed???? Is this kind of problem a normal failure mode
after heavy use?

Thanks for your input!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Treetops wrote:
[...]

I can't think of any cause other than a pump problem. A pump should
not fail even under your hard service use in just 5 years. From the
description it sounds as if the impellor stages are failing.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
Treetops wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, after thinking a bit, a partial blockage somewhere in the pipe
leading to the tank could do it. I still suspect the pump though.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Treetops wrote:
[...]

I don't know what climate you are in,
but the output pipe might be partly frozen.