Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Tub Problems

I have a 7-yr old LA Spas Model - Islander 2900. Suddenly yesterday the tub
is not heating, and the second set of Jets (panel says "Jet B") are not
pushing out water.

A few weeks ago I did the periodic draining and refilling of water, and
replaced the filters and two jets that had their top nozzles broken off.

Yesterday, the temperature dropped from 95F to 65F. I live in Maryland, and
the current outdoor temp is 46F, and the tub is still reading 65F. My guess
is that the heater is not heating the water up to 65F, but that it is
retaining this heat.

When I press "Jet B", I hear a motor noise, but no water movement.

I'll probably need to call a repair company, but any insight is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
I have a 7-yr old LA Spas Model - Islander 2900. Suddenly yesterday the
tub is not heating, and the second set of Jets (panel says "Jet B") are not
pushing out water.

A few weeks ago I did the periodic draining and refilling of water, and
replaced the filters and two jets that had their top nozzles broken off.

Yesterday, the temperature dropped from 95F to 65F. I live in Maryland,
and the current outdoor temp is 46F, and the tub is still reading 65F. My
guess is that the heater is not heating the water up to 65F, but that it
is retaining this heat.

When I press "Jet B", I hear a motor noise, but no water movement.

I'll probably need to call a repair company, but any insight is
appreciated.

Pull the access panels and find the bleeders. They will be close to the
pumps in the lines that go in and out of the pumps. It sounds like you have
gotten air in there, and it can't burp it out. It sounds this way to me
because you get the noise but not the flow. It will be a small knob device.
Be careful not to tighten them down too tight. They have an O ring, and
snug is good enough.

Hope this is your problem.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks but is this related to the no-heat problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

You say right at the start of your post that two jets are not pushing out
water. If they aren't pushing out heated water, how can they heat the spa?

Spa diagnosis is a series of elimination. You need to first find out why
those two jets aren't flowing.

One of the most common things is to get air into the lines when draining.
Sometimes the air will burp out, and all will be fine. If it doesn't, it
won't pump HEATED water.

Start there. If this is the problem, you just saved yourself a $100 service
call. If not, at least you know where the bleeders are so that next time,
you can do it properly.

When you drain and refill, if the area around the heating element fills with
air, the element comes on, and will overheat until the limiting device kicks
it off. Not a good thing to do, as this element is designed to operate with
water around it. If it is getting thin, this is the perfect scenario for it
to burn through completely, giving you a major repair job/bill.

As I said, find the bleeders and bleed them. Open them up until you can see
bubbles or water coming out. Kick the pumps on and off and see if it can
catch prime. If and when it does, let it run and see if it will pump hot
water. You may have already blown the element by running it with no water
in the heating chamber.

Once you get all the jets flowing, then go on to see if the heater is
working. You're getting the cart before the horses here.

If the jets are working, but the heater is not heating, check reset buttons,
and check fuses. Kill all power to the unit, pull the control panel cover,
and look for fuses, and check them with a continuity tester. Mine are
available really cheap at Home Depot.

HTH, and good luck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:52:31 -0500, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:

I have a 7-yr old LA Spas Model - Islander 2900. Suddenly yesterday the
tub
is not heating, and the second set of Jets (panel says "Jet B") are not
pushing out water.

A few weeks ago I did the periodic draining and refilling of water, and
replaced the filters and two jets that had their top nozzles broken off.

Yesterday, the temperature dropped from 95F to 65F. I live in Maryland,
and
the current outdoor temp is 46F, and the tub is still reading 65F. My
guess
is that the heater is not heating the water up to 65F, but that it is
retaining this heat.

When I press "Jet B", I hear a motor noise, but no water movement.

I'll probably need to call a repair company, but any insight is
appreciated.

The "no water" indication may be disabling the heat. They will not
heat if they think they don't have water flowing. Try the bleeding
Steve mentioned but you might have a bad imperller in the pump.

First of all, when the set temperature is higher than the current
temperature, only the A jets come on to bring warm water in to raise the
temperature. It was the B jets that wouldn't flow when the B jet turnon
button was pressed. The A-jets were fine. B-jets come on only when you get
in and want flow out of B-jets.

I contacted the seller of the hot tub, and they advised there is a B-jet
diverter valve on top of the tub (you can close the valve to prevent B-jets
from coming on), to remove it to let the air out and this should get the
B-jets going again. They called this condition an air lock and said it
occurred when I drained and refilled the tub, and that it could potentially
result in compromised heating. I did this and B-jets work again.

However, the water still is not heating up.

What's strange is I drained and refilled the water several weeks ago, and
the temperature heated right up and was fine until this week.

Now that B-jet flow is fine, I don't know why the water won't heat up.
Steve B implied that the heater element may have overheated and is broken,
but the heat was fine for a couple weeks after I drained and refilled the
tub, and B-jet flow has nothing to do with heating the tub. Again, when
the temperature is below the set point only the A-jets are designed to turn
on.

Unfortunately now I've got the service call in and am waiting until later
this week to get whatever the problem is fixed.