Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Water Exhaust Problem

Two weeks ago, our year-old Frigidaire dishwasher stopped draining; it left
a big pool of dirty water in the bottom after the full cycle and didn't get
the dishes clean. During the drain part of the cycle, it made a vibrating
noise, as if the exhaust pump were running but with no water in it, just
air.

I removed the water; the plastic filter which covers the well at the bottom
wasn't clogged. I removed the filter and there was nothing blocking the exit
port at the right side of the well. I pulled the machine out of the cabinet
and took the exhaust pump and lines apart. When apart but connected to
power, the impeller blades spun well. There was no blockage between the exit
port in the well and where the tube connects to the sink's waste line. I put
it back together and it worked perfectly. I figured that maybe it just
wanted some attention.

Two weeks later, the bottom is again filled with dirty water and the pump
makes an empty, vibrating sound during the exhaust part of the cycle. I'd
rather not take the darn thing apart every two weeks. Any ideas on what
could be causing this?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message

Two weeks later, the bottom is again filled with dirty water and the pump
makes an empty, vibrating sound during the exhaust part of the cycle. I'd
rather not take the darn thing apart every two weeks. Any ideas on what
could be causing this?

Most have a drain valve operated by a solenoid. Could be that the solenoid
is going bad and the vibrating noise could be the magnet going in and out.
You'd probably have to drag it out again to replace it but take a look to
see if it is accessible from the front.

FWIW,. air exhausts, water drains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:32:12 -0500, "Pavel314"
wrote:

[...]

Sometimes the routing of the drain line can effect its performance.
What I'm thinking about, if the line does not go up high, and then
downhill to the sink drain piping, you can get blow flow into the DW.
Check with your manufactures instructions on how to route the drain
line, once there, secure it so it doesn't slip back down. Wire tires,
etc.

Just a guess....

tom @ www.Numerology-Readings.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Water Exhaust Problem: UPDATE

"Pavel314" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

This machine is really weird. It has a check ball which keeps the water
focused on the sprayer arm by riding up and down a ramp. Not sure how this
works as the ball doesn't float in water. See
http://www.repairclinic.com/0080.asp?PageNum=2 The machine is a Frigidaire
FBD710LCB1, which cannot be found by a Google search.

There is apparently no drain valve; drainage seems to be accomplished by the
pump changing rotational direction. I think I'll try hitting it with a
hammer; if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new dishwasher, which is cheaper
than getting it repaired.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:38:07 -0500, "Pavel314"
wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. Have you tried just getting a professional to
check it? Give him/her a cap on what you want to spend fixing this
one, so you don't spend more than just bying a new one installed.

Just an idea....

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar problem with our dishwasher and cured it by pouring a bunch
of vinegar in and leaving it sit for a while, then turning the drain pump on
and off a dozen times.
There's a lot to be said for buying a dishpan.
LL