Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Guard gutters

I was just thinking about my horrible experience with my Leaf Guard
gutters and realized that the only way I would get over it was to let
others know, so you can think about this before making a decision.
This is a little vindictive, but when the company could not resolve my
issues, they said in the politest way, that's fine if you don't want to
pay the last $1000, we'll just "ruin your credit". That scared me
enough to pay, but I'm still mad.

Do the gutters work is probably your main question. The answer is
two-fold. I have a dutch colonial (so a very steep roof with an
overhang) and also a couple of sections of flat and fairly flat roof.
The way that leaf guard attached the gutters to my flat roof was with
tape and glue. I live in Minnesota. The first rain/freeze, the tape
glue came undone, and I had to wait until the Spring for them to fix
it. In the mean time the rain/snow melt dripped between the gutter and
the roof. Their comment, it should be fine, your roof was in good
shape.

The installers just replaced what was there, but they made some
miscalculations, so the drain spout for the side of my house ended
right at the edge of my house, not too smart. They were good about
coming and moving it, but I felt they should have figured it out
before. The problem is that when they do drain, they wash away my back
yard, noone mentioned that, and they weren't willing to fix that. They
also put the drain right in my walkway, they were too dumb to figure
out that it should be a little shorter.

As far as the steep roof. The top part of the roof had no gutter, they
never mentioned it may need one until I complained about the noise.
The top part of the roof drains onto the top of the gutter so when it's
raining I hear pinging all night long outside my bedroom window. Noone
mentioned that possibility. Also, given my house, two gutters in the
front would look silly.

It's been a year, the tape is coming off again, I didn't have to clean
leaves out, but the edge of my white gutters is black, so I do need to
clean them still.

I think the biggest problem is that I trusted the company knew what it
was doing and that they would install the correct gutters for me. When
I asked the guy that came to fix them (for about the third or fourth
time) if they really work on a flat roof, he said they weren't the best
option for a flat roof. Apparently, it's typical for them to come
yearly and re-tape them, I don't think they're willing to return to my
house.

Also, after I signed the original contract, the sales man told me he
made a mistake of $300, and he'd offer to split it with me. They were
horrible! So, the moral of the story is that you need to be a little
more educated on where you want your gutters, don't let them make the
decision for you. Also, don't have them installed on a flat roof, and
if you live in the Midwest, avoid Midwest Leaf Guard.

I feel better already!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Debbie,

I can feel for you but I think you need to blame the installation
company, not the product. I had Leaf Guard Gutters on my house in
Houston for years and they were GREAT! (But not perfect) The company
that installed them did a great job adding them to an existing two
story house and we never had any problems with the installation.

Our one problem was that they did eventually fill up with pine needles
and the debris from the fiberglass shingles. The gravel from the
shingles caused the gutters to droop some and when it rained real
heavy, the gutters couldn't hold the water. I would complain about
that but the company who installed the gutters lived upto their
warranty. They cleaned the gutters and repaired them at no cost.

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I've had leafguard gutters on my house for 9 years. You got screwed by a
bad installer. Leafguard gutters themselves are great. Seems to me you
should have sued the installer in small claims court and complained to BBB.
Also if they are licensed, complain to licensing board.

"Debbie" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Slightly OT -

I was watching This Old House the other day and they had a crew who was
bending aluminum on site for some type of leaf guard system. They
looked very similiar to
http://www.leafguard.com/home.asp

The crew-chief showed Steve how they worked by pouring a cup of water
over a section of gutter that was laying across some saw horses. While
most of the water went into the gutter, a lot of water ran over the
front and dripped on the ground. I said to myself, "Self, a cup of
water poured over a gutter that is laying across some saw horses is not
the same thing as rain water coming off a roof onto a gutter that is
attached to the house. I'll bet they work better once installed or TOH
wouldn't be featuring them."

The next scene showed a section of gutter being carried up 2 ladders by
the crew and mounted onto the clips. The screws were placed in the
brackets and the gutters were secured. It was raining at the time and
all along the length of the gutter you could see water dripping off the
face of the gutter and dropping to the ground.

As far as I can tell, not only would these not collect leaves and other
debris, they would not catch all of the water. It obviously wasn't
raining hard enough to stop the crew from working on 30' ladders, so I
can only assume that if it rained harder, there would be even more
water cascading over the front of the gutter. Was I missing something
or is there a trade-off between the gutters catching "no debris" but
only "most of the water"?

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Was I missing something
or is there a trade-off between the gutters catching "no debris" but
only "most of the water"?

Only thing I've been able to determine in the postings here over the past
couple of year is that some work, many do not, the only thing caught for
sure is your money by some salesman's claws. I'm not ready to buy yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only answer I can give you is that I lived in Houston for over 30
years and you won't find many places in the country that get more rain
or a greater amount of rain in short periods of time. I had experience
with both standard gutters and the leaf guard gutters. Based on my
experience, the standard gutters were better at water collection that
the leaf guard system as long as your standard gutters were kept
perfectly clean and clear. The main problem was that it only took a
couple of leaves to start blocking the system. Once a few leaves got
in place, the standard gutter system was essentially worthless.

The leaf guard system would during heavy rains allow some water to drip
over the gutter but the overwhelming amount of the water went into the
gutter as it should. It drained consistantly well for many years
before I had to have it cleared out. So, if you must deal with the
trees, the leaf guard gutter is a worthwhile purchase.

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, reasons I had to have it cleaned out were two fold. First,
we put on a new roof and the fine gravel from the shingles would move
with the water over the guard and into the gutter. Once in the gutter,
the flow was not fast enough to move them to the down spouts.
Secondly, we had over 40 trees on our lot, many of them pine trees.
The pine needles would on occasion flow over and into the gutter if
they were parallel to the gutter. Once inside, they would not move
down the drains. Over many years, they along with the roof gravel
caused the gutters to clog. The company who installed them gave us a
guarantee and they honored it. We called, they sent out a crew who
cleaned them and refinished them.

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Mine catch all the water except in an impossible corner where no gutter
would catch it. And the leafguard are still clean after 9 years. Where it
misses the water it acts like a sky lift and the water goes out way far from
the foundation. It only misses in the worse corner during horrible
downbursts.

oups.com...

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends largely on the pitch of the roof. Gutter covers (hoods,
helmets, whatever) are NOT efficient at collecting rain water runoff
from roofs, unless the roof has very little pitch. The faster the water
runs off the roof, the less efficient the gutter covers will be at
collecting rain water.

The main purpose of any gutter protection is to prevent the gutters from
getting clogged to the point where they overflow. No hood, cover, helmet
or guard is going to stop everything from getting into the gutters. The
problem with the gutter cover products is this: when rain water does
enter the gutters, it doesn't do so with enough force or velocity to
unsettle the sediment and move it down the slope to the downspout.

That is why I like the Steelco gutter screen (http://gutterscreen.net).
The are quality made, rigid mesh screens that keep large debris out of
the gutters, attach securely, and don't restrict rain water from flowing
into the gutters. In a good downpour, the velocity of the water helps
control sediment buildup.

Like any other gutter protection product, occasional maintenance may be
necessary, but, generally speaking, the screens don't have to be removed
to service the gutters. A water hose is all that is needed. In my view,
it is the best product out there for rain gutter protection.

JM

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
"Debbie" :

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 12:21 pm, "Debbie" wrote:
[...]

Please see my post in the thread titled "gutter guards - think these
will work?"
the leaf guard company responded to my phone calls by promising me a
free
fix from an approved local installer, obviously just to get rid of me.
No one ever showed up, their guarantee was not honored, and their
product was a disaster for me.
Can't believe they are still in business.

Seamless gutters and leaf/debris protection AJDupree Home Repair 14 August 14th 06 07:10 PM
Use a leaf blower? Steve Home Ownership 18 November 1st 05 12:45 PM
Leaf Blower Help Harry Home Repair 3 September 23rd 05 09:41 PM
gold leaf? David Zaret Woodworking 16 November 20th 03 12:17 AM
Gutterpillar Gutter Leaf Guard? Niel Home Ownership 3 August 11th 03 11:23 PM