Posted to alt.home.repair
Debbie Debbie is offline

Default Leaf Guard gutters

I was just thinking about my horrible experience with my Leaf Guard
gutters and realized that the only way I would get over it was to let
others know, so you can think about this before making a decision.
This is a little vindictive, but when the company could not resolve my
issues, they said in the politest way, that's fine if you don't want to
pay the last $1000, we'll just "ruin your credit". That scared me
enough to pay, but I'm still mad.

Do the gutters work is probably your main question. The answer is
two-fold. I have a dutch colonial (so a very steep roof with an
overhang) and also a couple of sections of flat and fairly flat roof.
The way that leaf guard attached the gutters to my flat roof was with
tape and glue. I live in Minnesota. The first rain/freeze, the tape
glue came undone, and I had to wait until the Spring for them to fix
it. In the mean time the rain/snow melt dripped between the gutter and
the roof. Their comment, it should be fine, your roof was in good
shape.

The installers just replaced what was there, but they made some
miscalculations, so the drain spout for the side of my house ended
right at the edge of my house, not too smart. They were good about
coming and moving it, but I felt they should have figured it out
before. The problem is that when they do drain, they wash away my back
yard, noone mentioned that, and they weren't willing to fix that. They
also put the drain right in my walkway, they were too dumb to figure
out that it should be a little shorter.

As far as the steep roof. The top part of the roof had no gutter, they
never mentioned it may need one until I complained about the noise.
The top part of the roof drains onto the top of the gutter so when it's
raining I hear pinging all night long outside my bedroom window. Noone
mentioned that possibility. Also, given my house, two gutters in the
front would look silly.

It's been a year, the tape is coming off again, I didn't have to clean
leaves out, but the edge of my white gutters is black, so I do need to
clean them still.

I think the biggest problem is that I trusted the company knew what it
was doing and that they would install the correct gutters for me. When
I asked the guy that came to fix them (for about the third or fourth
time) if they really work on a flat roof, he said they weren't the best
option for a flat roof. Apparently, it's typical for them to come
yearly and re-tape them, I don't think they're willing to return to my
house.

Also, after I signed the original contract, the sales man told me he
made a mistake of $300, and he'd offer to split it with me. They were
horrible! So, the moral of the story is that you need to be a little
more educated on where you want your gutters, don't let them make the
decision for you. Also, don't have them installed on a flat roof, and
if you live in the Midwest, avoid Midwest Leaf Guard.

I feel better already!