Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low-E Glass and Fading

I have a bay window with low-e glass that I had installed 10 years ago. I
have noticed that my curtains have faded somewhat. The curtains are only
about 6 years old, and only get sun in the wintertime when there are no
leaves on the trees.

Should low-e glass do this, especially after only 6 years. The glass does
have a tint, and a sticker on them said low-e, so I doubt they're clear
glass.

Just wondering how much UV low-e is really supposed to block.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message

I have a bay window with low-e glass that I had installed 10 years ago. I
have noticed that my curtains have faded somewhat. The curtains are only
about 6 years old, and only get sun in the wintertime when there are no
leaves on the trees.
Should low-e glass do this, especially after only 6 years.

You did not say whether these curtains are lined or
not. Linings delay fading from sunlight.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a bay window with low-e glass that I had installed 10 years ago. I
have noticed that my curtains have faded somewhat. The curtains are only
about 6 years old, and only get sun in the wintertime when there are no
leaves on the trees.

Should low-e glass do this, especially after only 6 years. The glass does
have a tint, and a sticker on them said low-e, so I doubt they're clear
glass.

Just wondering how much UV low-e is really supposed to block.

Thanks.

This definition might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-emissivity
Says low-e glass transmits visible light but is opaque to infrared or
heat radiation.
I suspect UV passes too which would explain fading.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a bay window with low-e glass that I had installed 10 years ago. I
have noticed that my curtains have faded somewhat. The curtains are only
about 6 years old, and only get sun in the wintertime when there are no
leaves on the trees.

Should low-e glass do this, especially after only 6 years. The glass does
have a tint, and a sticker on them said low-e, so I doubt they're clear
glass.

Just wondering how much UV low-e is really supposed to block.

Thanks.

Yes, to the question of whether the curtains would
fade in 6 years. Low-e is about heat loss so that
means blocking infrared. Window glass transmits a
lot of UV and visible light which causes fading of
materials. Films that block fading will also
block a lot of light. Almost any current
especially on a south side will fade rapidly,
that's probably why curtain liners are
usually/often white.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a bay window with low-e glass that I had installed 10 years
ago. I have noticed that my curtains have faded somewhat. The
curtains are only about 6 years old, and only get sun in the
wintertime when there are no leaves on the trees.

Should low-e glass do this, especially after only 6 years. The glass
does have a tint, and a sticker on them said low-e, so I doubt
they're clear glass.

Just wondering how much UV low-e is really supposed to block.

Thanks.

Low-e usually blocks at least some of the UV that does the damage.
However Low-E really means IR block not UV blocking. How much varies. The
ones I have seem to be doing a good job, but they have not totally prevented
any fading.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit