Percival P. Cassidy

Default Low-e glass: which side out?

According to the US DOE, Low-e glass is significantly better than
regular glass, BUT which way the treated surface should face depends on
whether one wants to prevent heat loss from the building in winter or
heat gain from outside in summer.

So what do you do when you live in a region with significant temperature
variations, such as Michigan?

Perce

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:42:39 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

According to the US DOE, Low-e glass is significantly better than
regular glass, BUT which way the treated surface should face depends on
whether one wants to prevent heat loss from the building in winter or
heat gain from outside in summer.

So what do you do when you live in a region with significant temperature
variations, such as Michigan?

Perce

How significant are the variations? I live in the desert, so I know
what my choice would be. Consider the rising cost of your Winter
energy cost, I guess?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Well, if you simply want to minimize conduction and IR transmission,
why would you care which way you orient the window? I wouldn't, and
don't- AFAIK the glass units in my windows are not directional.

It's not just surface-stuff. Low conductance also.

HTH,

mike hide

wrote:

According to the US DOE, Low-e glass is significantly better than
regular glass, BUT which way the treated surface should face depends on
whether one wants to prevent heat loss from the building in winter or
heat gain from outside in summer.

So what do you do when you live in a region with significant temperature
variations, such as Michigan?

Perce

How significant are the variations? I live in the desert, so I know
what my choice would be. Consider the rising cost of your Winter
energy cost, I guess?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

So with double glazed windows why not do one pane treated out and one pane
treated in ....

Percival P. Cassidy

On 10/24/05 04:57 pm mike hide tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

According to the US DOE, Low-e glass is significantly better than
regular glass, BUT which way the treated surface should face depends on
whether one wants to prevent heat loss from the building in winter or
heat gain from outside in summer.

So what do you do when you live in a region with significant temperature
variations, such as Michigan?

How significant are the variations? I live in the desert, so I know
what my choice would be. Consider the rising cost of your Winter
energy cost, I guess?

So with double glazed windows why not do one pane treated out and one pane
treated in ....

I thought of that, but I'm not sure that the factory-replacement glass
assemblies for our doors are available that way. I'll have to check.

Perce

Charles Spitzer

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
[...]

they reflect heat. you either want it reflected back outside, or reflected
back inside. you don't want it to trap the heat between the 2 pieces of
glass (the layer goes on the inside of panes in a double glazed window).

Percival P. Cassidy

On 10/24/05 05:47 pm Percival P. Cassidy tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

According to the US DOE, Low-e glass is significantly better than
regular glass, BUT which way the treated surface should face depends on
whether one wants to prevent heat loss from the building in winter or
heat gain from outside in summer.

So what do you do when you live in a region with significant
temperature
variations, such as Michigan?

How significant are the variations? I live in the desert, so I know
what my choice would be. Consider the rising cost of your Winter
energy cost, I guess?

So with double glazed windows why not do one pane treated out and one
pane treated in ....

I thought of that, but I'm not sure that the factory-replacement glass
assemblies for our doors are available that way. I'll have to check.

The answer came already: the Low-e coating is on one side only, but the
glass assemblies are reversible. Reverse them each fall and spring?

Perce
Joseph Meehan

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
According to the US DOE, Low-e glass is significantly better than
regular glass, BUT which way the treated surface should face depends
on whether one wants to prevent heat loss from the building in winter
or heat gain from outside in summer.

So what do you do when you live in a region with significant
temperature variations, such as Michigan?

Perce

I really wonder how much of a different there is. I suspect little. It
will reflect heat both ways.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Carter

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote

The answer came already: the Low-e coating is on one side only, but the
glass assemblies are reversible. Reverse them each fall and spring?

Perce

Hope these couple of links, give you a better understanding on how Low-e
works.

http://www.glassonweb.com/glassmanua...index/lowe.htm

http://www.efficientwindows.org/lowe.cfm