Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moisture barrier

I am installing a moisture barrier to the inside basement foundation from just
above grade level to under the sub floor. How does one attach said moisture
barrier (note: not "vapour barrier") to the poured concrete foundation and still
allow moisture to rise and escape from the sills?

A single line of (thin) strapping nailed into the concrete, then the polly
stapled to that? A dab of acoustic sealant every foot or so?

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...ier_fig12.html

That looks like only construction adhesive holding the strapping on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:
I am installing a moisture barrier to the inside basement foundation
from just above grade level to under the sub floor. How does one attach
said moisture barrier (note: not "vapour barrier") to the poured
concrete foundation and still allow moisture to rise and escape from the
sills?

A single line of (thin) strapping nailed into the concrete, then the
polly stapled to that? A dab of acoustic sealant every foot or so?

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...ier_fig12.html

That looks like only construction adhesive holding the strapping on...

Actually - looking closely at the diagram, it looks like a line of caulk and
then the moisture barrier and THEN the strapping...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I am installing a moisture barrier to the inside basement foundation
from just above grade level to under the sub floor. How does one
attach said moisture barrier (note: not "vapour barrier") to the
poured concrete foundation and still allow moisture to rise and
escape from the sills?

A single line of (thin) strapping nailed into the concrete, then the
polly stapled to that? A dab of acoustic sealant every foot or so?

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...ier_fig12.html

That looks like only construction adhesive holding the strapping
on... a

Actually - looking closely at the diagram, it looks like a line of
caulk and then the moisture barrier and THEN the strapping...

I agree and the strapping appears to be nailed or screwed to the
concrete.

Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I am installing a moisture barrier to the inside basement foundation
from just above grade level to under the sub floor. How does one
attach said moisture barrier (note: not "vapour barrier") to the
poured concrete foundation and still allow moisture to rise and
escape from the sills?

A single line of (thin) strapping nailed into the concrete, then the
polly stapled to that? A dab of acoustic sealant every foot or so?

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...ier_fig12.html

That looks like only construction adhesive holding the strapping
on... a

Actually - looking closely at the diagram, it looks like a line of
caulk and then the moisture barrier and THEN the strapping...

I agree and the strapping appears to be nailed or screwed to the
concrete.

Dia 's Muire duit, a's Pádraig.

OK - So I apply a bead of acoustic sealant to just above grade level, press the
poly-whatever barrier in place and power-nail the Hell out of a 1x2x8 strapping
on top of it? Crap! I have a mix of some fibreglass and some rigid foam
insulation (which won't like the strapping)...

Go raibh mile maith agat!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Andrew wrote:
[...]

I feel your pain, but I don't have an answer to that one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit